Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: D code Brownie??  (Read 3179 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
D code Brownie??
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 04:50:03 PM »
This is indeed a rare bird! I love the uniqueness of the bowl and lid combo. Lid looks like a brownish, greyish dark red and really sets off the lid in a cool way. I'd love to see more of the bowl in bright light or day light shining on it. I LOVE this grill. If you ever want to let that one go, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:51:39 PM by Craig »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: D code Brownie??
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 04:56:13 PM »
I'd love to know more about the brownies. Almost looks like it was red coming down the line then painted brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »

I'd love to know more about the brownies. Almost looks like it was red coming down the line then painted brown?

As far as more about the brownies? The life/production run of the color?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
Chocolate covered cherry. That's what this one makes me think of. Love it

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
Yeah Craig. The more I come back to this post the more curious I am. I used to just pass over the brownies.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bmcneely51

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
@Craig here is another pic of the brownie i had handy on my phone. I really love this kettle too! Thanks for the kind words!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »
That is effing beautiful!

Craig

• WKC Mod
D code Brownie??
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »
Yeah Craig. The more I come back to this post the more curious I am. I used to just pass over the brownies.

@Craig here is another pic of the brownie i had handy on my phone. I really love this kettle too! Thanks for the kind words!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Great pic of that brownie!

kettlebb

Brownie was introduced as Copper Mist in 1969 replacing the old Chestnut Coppertone (PAT PENDING w/steel wheels are the earliest browns). In 1978-79 it was renamed Chocolate brown and continued through 1991 "N" code. I'd love to find a chocolate One Touch +/Master Touch. It's one of the longer made and widely available vintage colors. Also one of my favorites. The fade/misting on the lid varied from year to year (high and heavy early on) and got less misting by the time it was renamed "chocolate brown". The base color was more terra cotta like in the early 70s and later took more of a caramel color by 1977-78. Not huge difference unless you pair up a 1970 brown with a 1978 brown and a 1981 brown. My 81 looks more vibrant (almost burnt orange) compared to my PAT PENDING. There's a member here that had a 1991 brown One Touch that had little to no fade on the lid. We've yet to see any browns newer than 1991.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:11:16 AM by Craig »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
Thanks Craig! That's one thing I love about this club. So much knowledge with the members here.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 07:05:19 AM »
For those wondering about the poster. This has been updated several times over the years, and due for another update. Still not sure about the D stamp - it's not the same style and certainly not the standard location. Even so, I say it belongs in the mix with the others. The intent is to include an example of every vent version and date code known. All but one of these are owned by club members! Like before, once I get this done I'll post a link to the large size file on Flickr so you can download and print one for yourself.

this needs to be a poster

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
This is indeed a rare bird! I love the uniqueness of the bowl and lid combo. Lid looks like a brownish, greyish dark red and really sets off the lid in a cool way. I'd love to see more of the bowl in bright light or day light shining on it. I LOVE this grill. If you ever want to let that one go, let me know.

I've seen this one in person. Very cool grill. After seeing it, I would've bought it from @db3694 /Drew if he wasn't already holding it for another member. My first thought was that @Craig , @zavod44 , @Jeff  , etc need to see this at the July meet-up. If I recall correctly, the underside of at least one of the bowl handles is straight red, as well as at least one of the leg sockets... @bmcneely51 /Bob, if you get a chance, try to get some detailed pics of the color shifts.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »
@LiquidOcelot 

Matt....it IS a poster !!!

Kinda wonder if this MIGHT be a Demo Kettle & they had too many Reds & Blacks & perhaps slapped a coat of Brown on to go out on the road?

I've got a crazy "D" stamp on a Brown MasterTouch....but it's been easily determined that that's not in the time frame for Year "D".... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 09:03:49 AM »
Prob a reject, but I like it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
Maybe "D" means "Dealer" and was one way to get sample kettles out there. Also like the "Demo" thought. Either one makes sense. The mystery continues...

Oh, and yes, @LiquidOcelot it is/was a poster. You can find it here if you don't want to wait for the update:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32306142@N07/28145901586/in/photolist-Tdo85x-MVydFH-JTa6Xh

Download the original size if you want an 18" X 24" print. then take it on a thumb drive to Walgreens, Office Max or some place like that that has a good large format printer. Watch for a sale and you might get one for less than $10.
Retired