Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unknown Special or Limited Edition kettles ?  (Read 3243 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Unknown Special or Limited Edition kettles ?
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Actually, 2 part questions that's been bugging me for awhile. Maybe some experts can help here.

#1. Besides the Canadian Special Edition MTs, Simpson and other logo'd kettles.... were there any other Special or Limited edition kettles ever offered over the years in US?

#2. I know that Samson Dominion kettles were sold in US and in Canada in 60's and 70's. Anyone remember these or have one of them. Am I the only one with these kettles.

Any info on these 2 subjects would be appreciated.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Unknown Special or Limited Edition kettles ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
Historically, I would classify the Westerner, the "meat grill" custom and the Chromoveil custom as limited editions. Same for the Penthouse, Fireplace kettle and even Galley Qs. I would guess the Woodard carts were pretty low volume too. But that's just my opinion. All were catalog items at one point, so maybe that nixes the idea of a LE.

I'm not aware of anything they marketed in the modern era (letter-code kettles and up) as limited edition, but it's possible. You know what they say: anything sold as a limited edition collectible will only be limited to the number of people willing to buy it, and will never be collectible.
Retired

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Historically, I would classify the Westerner, the "meat grill" custom and the Chromoveil custom as limited editions. Same for the Penthouse, Fireplace kettle and even Galley Qs. I would guess the Woodard carts were pretty low volume too. But that's just my opinion. All were catalog items at one point, so maybe that nixes the idea of a LE.

I'm not aware of anything they marketed in the modern era (letter-code kettles and up) as limited edition, but it's possible. You know what they say: anything sold as a limited edition collectible will only be limited to the number of people willing to buy it, and will never be collectible.

I tend to agree with you on all kettles you mentioned as being a limited edition. I am even thinking those Bar-B-Kettles in Red and Grey with a dealer installed daisy vents as being one too.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »
How about my copper Sam Adams kettle?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »
Crate & Barrel performers?  U Line grills?

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
They marketed the Simpson's 10 year anniversary as Limited Edition, no?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »
Somehow I think we are confusing limited/special editions, with small or low production.  There can be something that was a poor seller or something that was produced one year and not produced the next, and then something that was meant for special edition.  Simpson's was a special edition.  They both end up working out pretty much the same way, but one was intended to add one wasn't....Simpson's was limited from the start, the others maybe...maybe not?  Maybe poor sales forced their hand, maybe production   troubles caused them to discontinue a model? 

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »
There were also the Target copper silvers in 2011.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »
I do agree with captjoe06 and zavod44 on the Simpson 10th anniversary special limited edition. I think it has 10th A special ed. right on the lid.  Same for the upcoming limited Red kettle as it would have limited edition right on it. As for Canadian MT, nothing on the kettle but we know it is a special ed. Just like the Canadian MT,  I was just wondering if any other kettles in the Webers line-up thru. the years that could be called out as a special edition. Maybe there are others... or maybe not.

Target copper ots, C&B, uline, and other logo kettles might have been in limited no., but not sure if they can be called out as a special edition kettles. That one Euro charcoal kettle I have seen with special edition logo on it is another special ed. kettle.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Well, then, you need to be more specific as to what you consider limited or special. I don't understand why you don't think of the Target copper or the C&B's or even the U Lines as special editions.

Honestly, you could consider anything other than black as a special edition.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Well, then, you need to be more specific as to what you consider limited or special. I don't understand why you don't think of the Target copper or the C&B's or even the U Lines as special editions.

I just did! Look at the post just above yours.  Let's look at it this way. We have no disagreement on the Simpson or upcoming kettle as they both have Special edition( for Simpson ) and Limited edition ( for upcoming Red ) right on the lid. As for the Canadian MT without anything on the lid... maybe 20 years down the road might have an argument as if it is SE or not. But,we know it is as Weber calls it out it as a special edition not just as a limited edition.

As for Target copper, C&B, an U-line.... all I said was that I am not so sure since Weber never called these out as a SE. Like others have said, I am not sure if limited run applies that they are special edition kettle.  I am mainly after ones that were officially called out as a SE from the factory.

Yes, if you consider anything other than black a special edition.... then, we are not talking about the same thing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:50:25 PM by greenweb »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
NFL sjs and more so NFL 22s. from what I was told on the story of the 22s were each team had 10 made in 1998. in 98 there were only 30 teams correct? so if call all the NFL grills very limited edition / production

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »
NFL sjs and more so NFL 22s. from what I was told on the story of the 22s were each team had 10 made in 1998. in 98 there were only 30 teams correct? so if call all the NFL grills very limited edition / production

No argument from me about NFL sjs and other logo kettles in limited #. Were they called out as a limited edition kettles? If you look at my first post you will see that I excluded all logo'ed kettles which include NFL kettles.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Well, I would argue about the Canadian Mastertouch grills. They are just euro grills sold in Canada.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
Well, I would argue about the Canadian Mastertouch grills. They are just euro grills sold in Canada.

Well! you can argue with me all day long that they are not the first of kind to be offered in a limited no. in 4 new colors in North America. To be specific... in Canada only as a limited edition. You know better than anyone that these are limited special edition canadian MTs.

See where it says LIMITED EDITION. You not gonna say I photoshopped that are you?