Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with SS performer  (Read 3265 times)

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
Help with SS performer
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »
I purchased this off of Craigslist about 2 years ago for $30.00. The legs where never stable and the gas assist has never worked since I owned it and the previous owner said it had not worked for him for years. While cutting the grass a couple weeks ago i bumped it and it just callapsed into the state you see it in now. My wife, knowing I am not that handy, coupled with the fact I have a OTG, wants me to get rid of it. I would like to save it.

I have yet to contact Weber, however I have looked at the schmatic on ereplacementparts.com. It looks like I need #28 (Weber #87989) which is discontinued, #52 (Weber #87967) which is in stock and #55 which they do not list a Weber part number or have information on if it is in stock. Looking at the condition and information or advice on what I need or where to locate it would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:10:27 PM by Hawk68 »

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
Re: Help with SS performer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:09:01 AM »
Search craigslist for a Performer, preferably with a beat bowl, get it cheap and swap the kettle.

A kettle swap isn't very labor and mechanically trying. Just pay attention to disassembly and reassembly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:42:13 AM »
@Hawk68 - where are you located?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hawk68

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:51:05 AM »
@swamprb-Columbus Ohio

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 03:52:28 AM »
If the frame is solid, it looks like the plates from the top member that go into the legs broke off. If you disassemble you could try to have these plates welded back in place. You probably need new star nuts in the bottom cross members as well. There does not seem to be a lot of rust. I think this is fixable.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
There posting about members using l brackets to remedy the top main frame assembly bravket issue..or weld them back on..

If you get into this repair..i have the part number for the stat nuts that fit perfectly.

Regarding gas assist..di you try manually lighting at the burner tube?.

If that works .simply remive the ignitir and sand/clean the rust off the ignitor contacts.

Anither step may be to remive burner tube and blow out the tube...ive had performer where the tube was filled with ash..mi removed and blew out the ash and it worked perfectly..

Also..try something simple and make sure the regulator valve is turned on and not in thw off position and have your tank filled at local ace hw store...call and make sure they can fill quick disconnect tanks...

Post back for more help if you get into this...

You can also buy a new burner tube /ignitor assembly from weber
Grills

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
My suggestion,

You did say you like to save this. So, I am assuming you do have a desire to fix this up. Do a search for SSP restore or restoration. You will get a tons of hits with worse shaped SSP brought back to former glory. It really does not matter if you are handy or not as it requires minimal mechanical skills.

Those frame parts don't look that bad. Most of them should go right back on with some starnuts and worst connection areas with some threaded rods. Do a search, most of all you seek to restore this SSP will come up but ask any other questions if needed.  It should not take much to bring this back, but if your heart is not into this type of projects( as I am thinking for not touching it for over 2 years).... just get another good ssp frame cheap and swap the kettle and sell the rest to recoup some $.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:45:15 AM »
all is not lost , take your time pack it up and send it to me , i'll send you pics on my first cook on it ! lol lots of info on this site for repairs on these , you won't regret it . these are awesome bbqs !

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 07:01:05 AM »
Don't sell! People here would kill for your grill.  :)

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »

Don't sell! People here would kill for your grill.  :)
+1

...and what better way to show to your wife that you ARE handy by bringing it back to life and cooking her an awesome meal. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »
Yeah that!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
If you get into this repair..i have the part number for the stat nuts that fit perfectly.

@toolhead - what's the part number for the start nuts?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:19 AM »
Give me a few mins to find it.
Grills

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »
@Bob BQ  I order from McMaster-Carr Part 94290A550. These are 1/4 20 thread same as original. I have a few extra if you need them soon.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »
@mcgolden mcmaster sku# 94290A550 (10 pack)

the key is to find the right outside diameter.. for the star nut..other have posted that their star nuts bent the tube and was extremely difficult to insert..

this sku is perfect .. taps in easily, yet enough OD to hold securely..

Grills