Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brownie / copper mist ? Could someone tell me what the difference is  (Read 875 times)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
My friend has this kettle not sure if it's considered copper mist or just two tone brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
They are one in the same.  In '77 Weber stopped  using their "nicknames" for grills and started calling copper mist - chocolate. So it '76 that grill would be a Copper Mist "The Warrior", in '77 is just became Chocolate.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Here's an example:

The 26er is a Patent Pending "Copper Mist" but the 22 and 18 are from '77 and called "Chocolate."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:57:02 AM by Neil_VT00 »

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Cool thanks [emoji1317]

BBQ to live live to BBQ

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
@northwestkettle - I stand corrected... here is what @Craig wrote in another topic today:

I'd keep both. Misty is "Copper Mist" and the '78 is "Chocolate"  They vary in shade of brown as well as mist height. Slap some new white walls on that '78 and you're in business. The '78 browns are more of a candy-caramel color compared to the PAT PENDING browns that are more terra cotta and the MIST transition on the PAT PENDING era is more splattery compared to later browns. They are not the same brown kettle. Sorry to make this tougher. But if I had to choose, keep the 78. Not near as many of the later ones come up.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/found-another-'chief'-in-the-wild/

Craig

• WKC Mod
Brownie / copper mist ? Could someone tell me what the difference is
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
@northwestkettle - I stand corrected... here is what @Craig wrote in another topic today:

I'd keep both. Misty is "Copper Mist" and the '78 is "Chocolate"  They vary in shade of brown as well as mist height. Slap some new white walls on that '78 and you're in business. The '78 browns are more of a candy-caramel color compared to the PAT PENDING browns that are more terra cotta and the MIST transition on the PAT PENDING era is more splattery compared to later browns. They are not the same brown kettle. Sorry to make this tougher. But if I had to choose, keep the 78. Not near as many of the later ones come up.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/found-another-'chief'-in-the-wild/

Technically, yes name wise they were changed from Copper Mist over to Chocolate in 1977-78. The base color evolved during the run as well. Chocolate brown kettles have a little more of a vibrant base color like caramel. Copper Mists have more of a terra cotta/ brown refrigerator circa 1970 color. Having said that at the end of the day we all refer to these as brown or more often, brownies regardless of year, Mist/fade level, shade of brown, MBH, 3 Wood, One Touch etc. Copper Mist and Chocolate kettles are among my favorite colors behind red. Their so close in color at first glance that referring to them either way is fine.  It's when you pair up a 1970 brown next to a 1981 brown side by side that you will see a difference. Both are sweet browns in their own way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:50:15 PM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Brownie / copper mist ? Could someone tell me what the difference is
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
BTW, same could be said of red kettles between 1960, 1970, 1980 & 1990 even more so but that's a whole other topic. Oh and looking at the kettle you have pictured, if that has the 1977 or earlier vent it is a Copper Mist aka "The Warrior".
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:53:10 PM by Craig »

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Thanks I believe it dose have the small tab

BBQ to live live to BBQ