Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grill timers  (Read 1604 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Grill timers
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »
Does anyone recommend a grill timer that can be set to grill different meat at different done times? Like one rare steak and one well steak so they will be done at the same time?

I had an awesome app but after getting a new phone, it doesn't work any more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Grill timers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
A watch.

Not being a dick, but that would be the easiest way IMO. If you want a steak done more you would put it on earlier, and one done less would be put on later.

Or, is there something about the app you had? I'm curious.

My thought is that time is not a constant. it would vary by steak type, steak thickness, grill temp, distance above coals....

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »
A watch.

Not being a dick, but that would be the easiest way IMO. If you want a steak done more you would put it on earlier, and one done less would be put on later.

My thought is that time is not a constant. it would vary by steak type, steak thickness, grill temp, distance above coals....
I think the app was called steak timer plus. You put in type meat, how thick, temp, how you want it cooked. And set a different timer for each person or different steak. It told you when to put which steak on, when to turn them, etc with an alarm. All steaks were done at the same time. It was an amazing app.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »

I have this thermometer you can set it to the level of doneness per internal temp using the probe and it yells at you once you reach that temp. works good for me

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:30 AM »
A watch.

I think the app was called steak timer plus. You put in type meat, how thick, temp, how you want it cooked. And set a different timer for each person or different steak. It told you when to put which steak on, when to turn them, etc with an alarm. All steaks were done at the same time. It was an amazing app.

Did it work well?

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
Yes the app was awesome. It worked on my galaxy s5 but not the s6.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »

I have this thermometer you can set it to the level of doneness per internal temp using the probe and it yells at you once you reach that temp. works good for me
That's great if you cook all meets the same. I'm a rare guy, my wife likes it well, my daughter likes it medium.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »
yea.... you can select rare, medium rare, medium and well. it gives you a base temp for each and you can adjust from there. see if there is a video on you tube that demonstrates it.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
I had an app just called "Steak" for the Iphone.   It does exactly what Steak Timer Plus does.(I had that at one point too)
I don't like it though.  I used it once for Ribeyes and they were over cooked.   I just use my Thermapop now.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
Are little egg timers accurate? I guess I could get 3 or 4 of them.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »
I'd never cook by time. Quick check of the internal temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 06:07:10 AM »
Ok so since in a gadget kind of guy, what would be the best instant read thermometer for testing meat internal temp? I'm not into cheap. I'd rather save for the best.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 06:25:14 AM »

Hands down get a Thermapen. Now is the time to buy one ($59). You won't find them any cheaper than this unless you buy one used. It is my most used accessory and I must say has been solely responsible for elevating my culinary skills to another level.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 06:59:54 AM »

Hands down get a Thermapen. Now is the time to buy one ($59). You won't find them any cheaper than this unless you buy one used. It is my most used accessory and I must say has been solely responsible for elevating my culinary skills to another level.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen
Thanks man. I ordered. You should have given me your email address for the refer a friend program for you to receive a 10% discount on your next order.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
A watch.

this.. for steaks..there is a minimum that i time i work with, based on the thickness (cut is not a factor, bc we only buy boneless ribeyes in this house.. imo the only cut of steak worth spending hard earned dollars on)

after the minimum ..then its checking the sear to eyeball the medium rare target.

i use the bezel on my diver watch to time that minimum, as i am usually running around doing several other things while the steaks are on .. ie.. watching tv on the deck or deep frying french fries..

Grills