Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scored a '09 Performer the other day  (Read 1708 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Scored a '09 Performer the other day
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 03:13:57 AM »
My favorite posts are the detailed clean up posts.  I also love the cleaning process bringing something completely covered with crud to a shiny beautiful cooking machine.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 04:54:15 AM »

I'm sure they are stainless. I did some research on this last week and for the OTG and up they were stainless thru 2012. 2013 was when it all went to aluminized sweeps. Love my OTGs. Congrats on the score but it's not an SSP, is a nice gen 2 Performer. I think it would look awesome with the metal table upgrade.
Thanks for the correction, I've read the Performer history page so I knew that too, I guess I just brain farted when I made the post lol.
I bet the ash sweeps are stainless. One of my favorite features on this vintage.  Put a magnet to to the sweeps if you can't tell by looking. My 2003 black otg has stainless sweeps and also a favorite of mine.
If they are stainless, it's very low grade, as in ~304. There's no rust or corrosion that I can see, but the sweep is highly magnetic (just like it is in my OTS), so I'm leaning toward aluminized steel unless someone has something definitive to share.

It doesn't sound like you have stainless. Neither one of mine are magnetic.  Maybe they had replaced with normal ones. No big deal if they are in good shape stainless is just a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »
Great score!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC