Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scored a '09 Performer the other day  (Read 1717 times)

toebee97

• Smokey Joe
Scored a '09 Performer the other day
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
@SmokenJoe put me on the trail of this 2nd gen for $35, talked the guy down to $25 and drove an hour to get it on Saturday. HUGE THANKS to him for giving me the heads up! I owe you one buddy!

Had to disassemble it to fit into my car, took a little under 10 minutes thanks to my cordless drill.

Got it home, since I had it apart anyway I started cleaning it up piece by piece.

Only damage was this spot where I'm guessing the lid was hot and was set on the lower rack, and resting on the plastic. Might try sanding it down later on.

The wheels cleaned up pretty easy, repainted them satin black. The whitewalls aren't taking paint so easily, so I'll have to strip them and start over. If that doesn't work I may have to get a new set from Uncle Al

Got the easy part done  ;D

The lid vent was tweaked and didn't seal right on the lid, so I ended up drilling out the vent rivet so I could take it off and straighten it out. Replaced the rivet with stainless hardware.

Cleaned up the burner tube as much as I could

Replaced the crappy little clip for the charcoal bin tether with an aluminum carabiner I had laying around.

Lid cleaned out better than the bowl did.  I scraped the hell out of it, and scrubbed it out with barkeepers, but I just couldn't get the bit around the rim of the bowl. This is gonna be my new daily driver anyway, so i'm not really concerned with a little residual carbon lol

Polished all the stainless hardware that shows

Cleaned up the charcoal grate off my OTS and threw it in this, then put a new top grate on it as well.

Cleaned up the thermo and mount, tried to polish them but there are still some fine scratches showing from the steel wool. Will probably work on it more in the future.

All cleaned up and ready to cook some dead animals!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:26:20 AM by toebee97 »
AA Black OTS 22 ~ DE Black Performer Deluxe
J Redhead OT 22 ~ AT Smokey Joe 14

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Scored a '09 SSP the other day
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
AWESOME score and clean up!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
Nice work.  I am normally nor a fan of black kettles but yours looks good with the black frame. 

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
That is sweet!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »
@toebee97;   you did a GREAT job on the cleanup AND the pics.   Now, forget about the dam rain we've been having a go cook some meat :)  ;D

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:05 AM »
I like it!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:15:42 AM »
I bet the ash sweeps are stainless. One of my favorite features on this vintage.  Put a magnet to to the sweeps if you can't tell by looking. My 2003 black otg has stainless sweeps and also a favorite of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:03:55 AM »
I'm sure they are stainless. I did some research on this last week and for the OTG and up they were stainless thru 2012. 2013 was when it all went to aluminized sweeps. Love my OTGs. Congrats on the score but it's not an SSP, is a nice gen 2 Performer. I think it would look awesome with the metal table upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 04:55:22 AM »
grate job!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 05:02:11 AM »

I'm sure they are stainless. I did some research on this last week and for the OTG and up they were stainless thru 2012. 2013 was when it all went to aluminized sweeps. Love my OTGs. Congrats on the score but it's not an SSP, is a nice gen 2 Performer. I think it would look awesome with the metal table upgrade.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I like keeping an eye out for these. Does that mean all otg with a welded handle would have the stainless sweeps?  In other words I'm not sure when taco started.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 05:25:38 AM »
Taco was 2015. 2013 was welded handle and aluminum. I got this by using the way back machine and browsing Weber.com historical sites.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

toebee97

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 08:40:38 AM »
Thanks for the correction, I've read the Performer history page so I knew that too, I guess I just brain farted when I made the post lol.
I bet the ash sweeps are stainless. One of my favorite features on this vintage.  Put a magnet to to the sweeps if you can't tell by looking. My 2003 black otg has stainless sweeps and also a favorite of mine.
If they are stainless, it's very low grade, as in ~304. There's no rust or corrosion that I can see, but the sweep is highly magnetic (just like it is in my OTS), so I'm leaning toward aluminized steel unless someone has something definitive to share.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:42:19 AM by toebee97 »
AA Black OTS 22 ~ DE Black Performer Deluxe
J Redhead OT 22 ~ AT Smokey Joe 14

tspin818

• WKC Brave
Re: Scored a '09 Performer the other day
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
Great job, looking sweet! Kudos to @SmokenJoe for helping another member out. Way to go WKC!
Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »
Well done! Thanks for the pics.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
Great job! As for the marked up plastic bot. rack support.... move it to the other side with the charcoal bin where not so visible or flip it upside down and mod  it to fit into the rack.