Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Time Restore  (Read 3739 times)

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
First Time Restore
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »
Hello WKC.  I'm a long time listener, but a first time caller.  I have a bevy of Weber's that I purchased new at retail, but this is my very first restore.  I have completed the Rescue step of RRR.  I got an EO code (1995) red 22.5" Master-Touch from my father-in-law who was just going to throw it in the garbage.  My goal is to keep it as close to stock as reasonably possible.  I will be using this as a cooker, not a museum piece, as the WAF will go way up if this is cooking her dinner!

The bowl and lid are in pretty decent shape.  The wheels, triangle, and legs are salvageable.  As is the lid holder bail.  The ash ring is serviceable.  Cooking and charcoal grates are pretty rusted, so I will probably just buy new ones as I believe I can get those from Weber.  Handles are not in very good shape.  I will try to sand and stain those.  If that doesn't work out, I understand at least 2 WKC members make replacement handles and I'll buy some from them.  Was missing the lid thermometer, and it looks like I can get that from ereplacementparts.com.  Was missing the leg cap which I can get from ereplacementparts.com.  Also, was missing the ash bowl.  But I have a DR code (2006) 22.5" OTG and I tried the ash bowl from that and it fits the old style ash ring, so I'll just buy an ash bowl from Weber or ereplacementparts.com.

Here are my problem parts:

The entire sweeper/cleaner assembly was missing.  No blades, bolt, washer, handle, thumb screw... nothing.  It doesn't look like Weber or ereplacementparts.com have them.
Thus, does anyone here know where I can get any/all of those parts?

Also, the ash ring support bar is very rusted and probably not usable.  Doesn't look like Weber or ereplacementparts.com have them.  I suppose I could buy some steel stock and cut, drill and bend it in the shape of the old one.  I would rather not do all that.
So, does anyone know where I can get one of those?

Lastly, and much less important, is that the lid damper rivet is pretty rusted.  I was thinking about drilling it out and replacing with a new bolt and nut.  Looks like I can get the bolt and nut from ereplacementparts.com.
Anyone have experience with doing that?  Is it worth it?  Or should I just sand off as much rust as possible and leave the original rivet in place?  I'm on the fence about this fix.

Thanks in advance!

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Time Restore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:07:26 PM »
Here are the before glamour shots:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:37:07 PM by LicenseToGrill »

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:36:53 PM by LicenseToGrill »

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:28:25 PM by LicenseToGrill »

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »
Had some technical issues with posting pics there at the beginning.  Mostly got it ironed out now.  But still have no idea how to get that first picture rotated correctly!
:-[

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »
I have one very similar to that that I was lucky enough to get in grate condition from another member. Ereplacementparts.com should have any replacement parts you need. Someone else here might have a direct link for this particular year. I am sure someone else will chime in with cleaning tips. There are lots of great references on the board in regards to removing rust and overall cleaning.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
@LicenseToGrill -  I might have a cross bar for the ash catcher for you.  I'll look for it this evening and let you know.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
I think you could just hit that cross bar with evaporust and you will be good to go. Definitely get a few new handles from Zavod or redo your originals. It will make it pop.

If you check out "Grill Restoration Guides" on the right hand side of the page on the homepage it will get you going.

I believe all those parts are available though.

Welcome

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 05:09:55 PM »
"Lastly, and much less important, is that the lid damper rivet is pretty rusted.  I was thinking about drilling it out and replacing with a new bolt and nut."

Don't do this. This kind of rivet doesn't polish up well though like the older ones, so just hit it with some sand paper and then hit the vent with some metal polish. It won't be this shiny, but it will be nice. I guess you could tape it off and hit it with a little black or silver high temp paint if you wanted... The rivet I mean.

On the handles if you want to keep the originals, just sand them with 220 to 500 grit, maybe hit them with a coat of stain or don't, and then hit them with three or four coats of spar varnish or spar urethane. If you have to fill any cracks, just mix wood glue with sawdust from sanding and then clamp if needed and then obviously sand.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:24:33 PM by AZ Monsoon »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
Welcome. That MT is in really good shape. Buy the new H style sweeps Weber 7444 and you have several options. Hose clamps, fabricate brackets like the new style rings have, or use your existing cross bar and install the new sweeps without the washer. All of these have been done by members here, you can find the threads using the search feature. Sand the handles and you have options there also. Stain, oil, spar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
I have had very good luck with ordering direct from Weber.  The charge a flat 7 bucks for shipping and after they tell me the total price I always ask for a discount and the usually will knock the price down.  Worth a shot in my opinion. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 05:28:20 PM »
Sounds like the fella's have you pointed in the right direction. Very nice lookin cooker. Hello and Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
First, thanks for the friendly welcome from everyone.  Also, thanks for the feedback.  I will be taking all of it into consideration.  Good stuff.

@MikeRocksTheRed  That would be great!  Let me know what you find.

If that doesn't pan out, then I may give the Evapo-Rust a try.  I'm just concerned after all the rust is gone there might not be enough metal left to support the ash catcher.

And if that literally falls apart...  So far I haven't been able to locate the support bar on ereplacementparts.com.  It's there in the schematics, but not listed below with the parts to buy.
Consequently, if anyone here has found them at at ereplacementparts.com before (or somewhere else online), I would really appreciate a direct link.

Thanks again!