Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Canadien Coal  (Read 1748 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Canadien Coal
« on: March 10, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
This was included in a buy. I haven't even looked inside the bag yet. Any experience with it?

Nice Loon anyway.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
Re: Canadien Coal
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:40:26 PM »
usually if it has anything to do with food , and it's from quebec you can't go wrong . lol.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
oops sorry no glasses on , should be good though canada eh .

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
It's the only lump I use. IMO it's the best out there. It's made from sugar maple.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:13 AM »
It's the only lump I use. IMO it's the best out there. It's made from sugar maple.

I love sugar maple! Man that's gotta be good!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:25:11 AM »

I have used lots of this stuff.  It is outstanding for grilling.
It's not the greatest for low n slow, as it tends to burn-out a bit too fast.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
I have used couple of bags of these. You can get them at Costco.ca  They seem to work nicely.  Few times I noticed large pieces of reclaimed flooring wood charcoal. Not sure if that is the norm. 

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »
@charred Canadian Coal eh?

Mac is correct in that it does burn fast. I attribute this to the fact that the bags I have gone through have been low in uncarbonized pieces......and no huge chunks of it.....never. Many lump manufacturers boost the bag weight by tossing in knee joint sized hunks of uncarbonized charcoal....not Basques and not Royal Oak Blue Bag either for that matter. It is cheap at Costco Canada too. Twelve bucks as I recall....which is about 9.50 USD.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
I don't think Costco Canada carries it anymore though.  Last time my buddy was there, they had Mexican Dragon's Breath lump instead.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:04:23 AM »
@charred Canadian Coal eh?

Mac is correct in that it does burn fast. I attribute this to the fact that the bags I have gone through have been low in uncarbonized pieces......and no huge chunks of it.....never. Many lump manufacturers boost the bag weight by tossing in knee joint sized hunks of uncarbonized charcoal....not Basques and not Royal Oak Blue Bag either for that matter. It is cheap at Costco Canada too. Twelve bucks as I recall....which is about 9.50 USD.

It is $12.99 / bag …. Which is $13 minus a penny, right ?? …. C'mon man … You work retail.   :o ;) ;)

I have picked it up on clearance at the end of the season for $9.97 per …. Which is "free" in USD, eh?!

I don't think Costco Canada carries it anymore though.  Last time my buddy was there, they had Mexican Dragon's Breath lump instead.

Yeah, they had this Canadian stuff at the beginning of last season, then switched to that Dragon's dump … I am not a big fan of that stuff.
Hopefully they bring back the canuck lump.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:24:46 AM »
Interesting - this must be an older bag or something as they now brand it as "Nature's Own" Charcoal with the otherwise same bag and loon.

I quite liked the bag I went through but it was small pieces and there was lots o' dust in the bottom that was unusable. Like 3" worth.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »
Interesting - this must be an older bag or something as they now brand it as "Nature's Own" Charcoal with the otherwise same bag and loon.

I quite liked the bag I went through but it was small pieces and there was lots o' dust in the bottom that was unusable. Like 3" worth.

Oh yeah, that's right.

Maybe more dust created …  travelling from QC to BC ….  ??? :o ;)

I also remember now finding small rocks and stones, but not too much …. Par for the course when it comes to lump charcoal.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
I've never found rocks in the Basques, but I have in Maple Leaf.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »
News! Basques is now making briquettes.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
News! Basques is now making briquettes.

Cool!  I will have to keep an eye out for it.  Here is a link.

http://charbonbasques.com/wp-content/themes/charbonBasque-themeWp/pdf/CharbonBasques%20_briquettes_en.pdf
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:37:44 AM by MacEggs »