Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Please help identify this.  (Read 2868 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Please help identify this.
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »
I stopped in at an old hardware store about 2 miles from the Weber Factory today. I hoped to find wicks for my Weber Tikis. Instead I found a NOS 8 inch wheel with hubcap. While wandering around the store I spotted something else. It looked like the bottom for a Smokey Joe silver but with leg sockets like a regular kettle. I asked the lady working there about it she said it was not for sale. It was her father's and that she had brought it in to show her rep from Weber. It had a j code on the lower vent.
It also had a six position cast iron plate that sat on the lip of the grill. There's a small cast-iron crock that sits in the hole in the center. It has never been used and she believes it was purchased from the factory at one of their closeout sales. Anyone have any ideas on what it is?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Please help identify this.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »
That's pretty cool. I have no idea what it is but fondue's were popular in the 80's. Maybe something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
oh my, what could that be? i like the fondue kettle idea.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »
Maybe it's the one with 3 legs and no triangle I forgot what it's called, the wanderer or something

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
Traveler ?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
Strange J Code.  Seems late for a Traveler?  Was it a 14" or 18".  Guessing 18 based on the 4 hole vent. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
It seemed like it was a 14"
But with leg sockets.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »

It also had a six position cast iron plate that sat on the lip of the grill. There's a small cast-iron crock that sits in the hole in the center. It has never been used and she believes it was purchased from the factory at one of their closeout sales. Anyone have any ideas on what it is?

[/quote]

I have one of the fondue attachment(if that’s what it actually is).  I was told the same story that they were sold at the factory sale quite some time ago. I’ve never seen another and wasn’t quite sure what to make of it until now. I don’t believe it has weber markings anywhere on it.

Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Please help identify this.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »
LoL !  I know what that monster is !
What do I win ?
That is a Weber Gourmet Set !
I am guessing this was a Euro item but I have never seen it before here.
If you like eating chiefs snacks then this is for you!
3 hours of cooking time with family members you hate to get the same equivalent of 1 hamburger :-(
Here is a photo of how it works:

Some types have 2 levels to cook on.. that makes it a combo grill / gourmet set... like this:

It’s the start of the holiday season here in The Netherlands so the stores start selling pre-made packs of mini meat for these... anyone game for a big plate of cross-contamination ?

Google translated from Dutch ..
Gourmets are a phenomenon that has probably been swept from Asia. It's an activity where a group of people cooks on a table in small pans or on a grill, griddle or similar, always cooking their own dish using different ingredients which is on the table, which is eaten, after which you can cook something new. It is similar to rock grills and raclette, but raclets are made with cheese and it is typically Swiss; while gourmets use meat, fish and / or vegetables. An additional possibility is baking small omelettes or pancakes. The whole is often dressed with different sauces and baguette.

One usually gourmet with more people, usually four to six. The traditional gourmets are on fire with small spirits burned under the tiles. Today, more and more electric gourmet dishes are in use, usually consisting of 4 to 6 pans that are heated electrically from below. There are also variants with wok pans in circulation. Gourmets are slightly different from grilling or grilling with the pans under a griddle (metal or stone). Because of this, the panes are heated by a spiral from above, which involves grilling and not the traditional gourmets. Some people do not like gourmets because it takes a very long time, it's hard to get your ingredients to their fullest value and because of the odor barrier. Others find it a nice way of eating, where the host or woman does not have to leave the table. Gourmets has been a Christmas tradition in the Netherlands for some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:08:11 AM by vwengguy »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 03:39:31 AM »
Are you sure? Even without the food holders the bottom part (what he saw) looks different. And where is this type of Weber accessory online?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:46:50 AM »
Looks like little grease cups...   Dunno.. Hmmmm
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
Fondue or something with skewers seems likely given these indentations here.  Strange that there are only 4 slots yet 6 separate "serving areas". 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
What @vwengguy said seems like a reasonable guess and somewhat similar looking things he's aware of that are used for this purpose. 

Although not pictured, @Kneab said "[t]here's a small cast-iron crock that sits in the hole in the center."

I'd bet the outer crock walls have 4 tabs that fit in the 4 slots and the 4 slots are NOT used for holding fondue forks (as the handles would likely wind up resting on the hot griddle, which makes no sense from a design perspective). 

The grease cups on the end make sense for what @vwengguy guessed as you would probably want any grease to go somewhere.  Also the separate cooking areas keep the grease (or sauce) from the food in one section from going on foods in another section and affecting the taste. 

To me, the small cast iron crock in the center might be used for fondue but that still doesn't explain the griddle.  With a fondue, it is my understanding that eat each piece as it is cooked as opposed to cooking a bunch and putting them on a hot griddle to keep them warm AND further cook them.

My guess is that our European friend is correct and that it's a "gourmet" or "chief snacks" thing that includes a crock that could be used like a fondue or for cooking something more liquid, like soups or something else where you would want a crock.
regards,
Hal

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and I think there is something missing that drops into the middle hole and that lets the heat come up in the center maybe to a upper griddle ? Kind of like the 2nd photo I posted. I am assuming that this would have 4 pins or knubbies that fit into the matching notches around the ring... to keep it from turning? I don't know I'm just guessing.
For all I know it could be a billings induction coupling for use with a photon impeller on the warp drive? and its just sitting next to a weird ass barbecue prototype ? ... I need another drink !
@PotsieWeber  European Friend.. Where? Not ME! I'm born and raised in Michigan... I just live here now and as soon as I can sell my house... I'm coming back home so I can go Kettle Hunting ! LOL ;-)

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and I think there is something missing that drops into the middle hole and that lets the heat come up in the center maybe to a upper griddle ? Kind of like the 2nd photo I posted.

There is a bowl that fits in the circular opening made of the same heavy material as the rest of it.

Searching for a Blue 18" MBH