Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a Rotisserie  (Read 2525 times)

beernbrowns

• Smokey Joe
Picked up a Rotisserie
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
All,

I ordered the Weber 2290 Rotisserie, who all has one of these? Are they pretty good? I've read good things about it, but want to get other input. I've never used a rotisserie before, but it will be waiting for me on my door step when I get home from work. I told my wife we will use it this Sunday, but there's a good change I'll be running out to get a bird to throw on it tonight   :) :)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Picked up a Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
You will not be disappointed.  A few pointers for a dizzy chicken....

1.  Don't worry about holding a specific temp.  Since the chicken is rotating who knows what temp your grill is really at anyway.  I have found that I like to use on charcoal basket instead of two....slows things down a little bit and kind of helps keep the skin on a chicken from splitting.

2.  Cook the chicken to thigh temp, not breast temp.  Your chicken is going to stay really juicy so temp the chicken in the thigh and cook it to 170-175.  The breast will probably be 180 or higher but will still be great.  If you cook to breast temp you are going to still have some blood in the dark meat.

3.  To help cook the dark meat faster, put your coal basket more towards the dark meat end of the bird.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Picked up a Rotisserie
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
You'll love it! I would do a dry run before lighting up the grill. Get the bird settled in and spin it a bit, rebalance if needed, then light 'er up. No fun making adjustments over hot coals! Oh, and get a second set of forks - two birds are better than one, and you should have room for a pair unless they are biguns. Keep us informed. entertained.
Retired

beernbrowns

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to start with a Chicken, then try a Turkey, and hopefully a Pig suckling eventually. I did some research and found some people use two baskets (one on each side, and a pan in the center).. Not sure if this is the best way or not. I plan on shoving one or two of them to one side and rolling with it.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
You're gonna love it!

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »

You are gonna love it.
22 Lb. Turkey this past Thanksgiving.

signature pending...

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
@beernbrowns , the rotisserie is almost fail-proof for chicken. @MikeRocksTheRed has given you some great tips.  Follow them and you will do well with those.  The only thing I can add is:

Brine your whole chickens & turkeys.....overnight brine for your turkey, or 2-3 hours for your whole chicken.  A simple salt and sugar brine is all you really need.  If you brine, the rotisserie goes from almost fail-proof to absolutely fail proof and your product will taste better too.   
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
@beernbrowns , the rotisserie is almost fail-proof for chicken. @MikeRocksTheRed has given you some great tips.  Follow them and you will do well with those.  The only thing I can add is:

Brine your whole chickens & turkeys.....overnight brine for your turkey, or 2-3 hours for your whole chicken.  A simple salt and sugar brine is all you really need.  If you brine, the rotisserie goes from almost fail-proof to absolutely fail proof and your product will taste better too.   

I totally agree!  I almost always brine my chickens.  I mainly do it because it's usually a day of decision to buy a chicken and the ones I get from my local grocery store are usually partially frozen still.  So I brine to finish thawing as well as to add moisture.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »
HARD to go wrong with a Roti...best damned chicken you ever have...flat basket with some wings in it. .ohhh yeah...chuck roast...WOW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
HARD to go wrong with a Roti...best damned chicken you ever have...flat basket with some wings in it. .ohhh yeah...chuck roast...WOW

@firedude5015 , will you please share your roti chuck roast process?
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
^^ I marinate overnight in Moores, and a few spices. Put it on the spit and bind with butchers twine. Only use one basket of coals, keep temp around 300. Let it ride until internal temp is about 190 ,then pull, wrap in foil and place in an ice chest for at least an hour..it continues to cook and will be super juicy and tender.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
Love my rotiss, best chicken ever!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
You'll love it, best kettle accessory in my opinion!
Everyone has already posted some good tips. I also like to stuff the bird with some lemons or onions, or both depending on what flavors I'm going for.
Good luck and post some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »
Best weber accessory i own. You will not be disappointed!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 04:27:27 AM »
Now there is a tool that I don't have just yet, great looking pics.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app