Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red 75-76  (Read 2060 times)

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
Red 75-76
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »
What year is this RED?
Picked up yet another oldie but goodie.
The bottom vents are missing i believe it's the large vents? Also the top handle the bent back. Any ideas on how to straighten. Tried to force to straighten by hand but it's super hard to move. Thinking maybe to heat up with coals then it may move? Also the wheels have the white walls washed away. Need some tips on restoring this rescue red
Thanks for chiming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:11:58 PM by Speedster »
Webers rule

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Red 75-76
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »
Nice score, @speedster!  Try this: Straightening a Strap Handle the safe and easy way
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=18101

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
Congrats Speedster!

http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 04:35:03 AM »
Congrats, looks like it will clean up nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:57:15 AM »
Congrats on another nice pickup.  Looks like it will clean up well. I'd say it is a 74-76, but I don't think you can tell without the bowl vents.

With a set of these (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/damper-kit-225-p-1475729.html) and a good cleaning that'll be a nice cooker.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 05:18:21 AM »
Nice score!  Looking good already.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:21 AM »

Congrats on another nice pickup.  Looks like it will clean up well. I'd say it is a 74-76, but I don't think you can tell without the bowl vents.

With a set of these (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/damper-kit-225-p-1475729.html) and a good cleaning that'll be a nice cooker.
Do they sell the single tab small turn vents? Or only the large dual tab?

Webers rule

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:28:48 AM »
Unfortunately, they do not. Dual tabs are all you can by "new". This is a '73-'75, so it most likely had the "duals" anyway.

Congrats on the score!!!  Have fun with the RRR.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:31:46 AM »
Unfortunately, they do not. Dual tabs are all you can by "new". This is a '73-'75, so it most likely had the "duals" anyway.

Congrats on the score!!!  Have fun with the RRR.

Large tab vents only as they are also a replacement parts for WSM and other kettles currently on the market.

You won't know for sure, but if this kettle originally came with the small tabs.... it would be 1973 to 74.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 05:55:23 AM »
@brewtownbeatdown and @greenweb - @Craig and I have been talking about this and figured out some new information on the wheels.  Those wheels are 74-76.  In 73, the wheels do not have the center tread line. In 74, there was a transition that added the center tread line so the wheels on this grill would be 74-76.

Here is a pic of 74-76 wheels (top) and 73 [possibly 74] wheels (bottom):

@Speedster If you want the look of the small tab vents, you could buy a new set, use some aviation snips to remove one of the vent tabs, and cut down the remaining tab into the shape of a small tab.  The vents would still have the "x" pattern on them, but your wouldn't be able to see it unless you flipped the grill.  Here's one that was done by @Hogsy.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/started-my-yellow-18-resto/
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Red 75-76
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 06:20:41 AM »
Just my 2 cents about the bowl tabs. If you are wanting to attempt a period correct rrr, with the small single tab, I totally understand. One thing to consider is that the dual large tabs are easier to operate and you really don't spent much time looking at the bottom of your kettle anyways.
Thanks for the info on the different wheel style there @Neil_VT00 That's good to know.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »

Just my 2 cents about the bowl tabs. If you are wanting to attempt a period correct rrr, with the small single tab, I totally understand. One thing to consider is that the dual large tabs are easier to operate and you really don't spent much time looking at the bottom of your kettle anyways.
Thanks for the info on the different wheel style there @Neil_VT00 That's good to know.

Yea I'm going to go with the large vent as it is the only option new. I believe it originally had the large vent. So that's good.

Webers rule

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 06:43:11 AM »
What about the whitewalls have been washed away. Should I paint them white. Is that a proper rescue on the wheels.

Webers rule

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Red 75-76
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »
Yes. Here's the restore thread

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-pinstriping-old-wheels/

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
What about the whitewalls have been washed away. Should I paint them white. Is that a proper rescue on the wheels.

I tried painting the white walls once. It wasn't for me.

Another option is to order white wall decals from Bryan.

Just lightly sand those wheels, clean them up, and fill any cracks you think you need to. Spray the wheels with satin spray paint and then apply the decals.

Here's how they end up looking.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:53:08 PM by AZ Monsoon »