Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MINI WSM #1 Keeping it basic  (Read 2737 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
MINI WSM #1 Keeping it basic
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
Long story short, the lid didnt fit right when I got the pot, but after some tweeks and twists it fits and removes perfectly. I decided to go with basic black for this one. I will go the Vasconia route when I do my mini red bullet later on. I will do a test burn and temperature check, hopefully tomorrow. I've got a can for the vent on the bottom and a terra cotta saucer (not pictured)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:26:42 PM by Craig »

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: MINI WSM #1 Keeping it basic
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
Looking good man!  I think I'm going to do the same for the diffuser.  Just drill holes in the bottom of the pot. 

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Looks nice. I like your Weber thermo.  I did the same for the bottom of the pot.  Then I dropped the stainer in and rotated it a bit so the holes do not line up.  Have not used any other diffuser ( terra cotta ....)  Hold temp for hours .

I did have to crimp the pot lip to make the lid fit the pot.  Yours looks a bit more modified than mine.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:40 AM »
Fired mine up yesterday to cure the paint (200* for 1 hour). It held the temps amazingly well.  I've got a 3# pork butt on it now.  :)  I'm using a pie pan w/ water as the diffuser.  Which is weird as I don't use water in my full sized WSM.  Curious to hear how your Swiss Cheese works out.  lol
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
MINI WSM #1 Keeping it basic
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:26:29 AM »
Looks nice. I like your Weber thermo.  I did the same for the bottom of the pot.  Then I dropped the stainer in and rotated it a bit so the holes do not line up.  Have not used any other diffuser ( terra cotta ....)  Hold temp for hours .

I've been thinking of using the strainer as a diffuser/damper instead of the clay saucer.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
On mine i cut the bottom out and used the insert for my diffuser.  I like the looks of that thermo, how accurate is it?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »
On mine i cut the bottom out and used the insert for my diffuser.  I like the looks of that thermo, how accurate is it?
So far I've only done 1 test burn. Thermo seems pretty accurate so far. When I have the tomale insert in, it was around 200-225, with it out and just the drilled holes, it climbed to over 300. Trial and error. I want to get it right before I smoke something on it.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
Great build....you are going to love it.