Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Varekais' Ranch Kettle... part 1, the clean up  (Read 4517 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Varekais' Ranch Kettle... part 1, the clean up
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
Nice clean up work. It looks great!  Just treat it with some rust inhibitor spray for now, If you want to wait till the summer to work on the frames.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
I am going to leave it disassembled for now and take the frames to a local powder coater for an estimate...
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
I love the pic of your mini weber lid on it!!!!!  Made me think of a new use for my Ranch when I'm not cooking on it.  It would make a great table for serving up food!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
Awesome.  Welcome to the club!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »

I love the pic of your mini weber lid on it!!!!!  Made me think of a new use for my Ranch when I'm not cooking on it.  It would make a great table for serving up food!
and you just gave ME a great idea, I could make a top for mine and use as my DINING ROOM table...and it would be kept inside when not in use!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »

and you just gave ME a great idea, I could make a top for mine and use as my DINING ROOM table...and it would be kept inside when not in use!

A dining room table with a lid!!!!! Would be a great way to keep the table from collecting junk in between meals!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
A dining room table with a lid!!!!! Would be a great way to keep the table from collecting junk in between meals!!!!

@MikeRocksTheRed , RIGHT, lid on, no place to put the bills but the trash...LOL

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
So I just went to the powder coaters to get an estimate, not sure what I was thinking it would cost, but for $45 I left it there it'll be done by the end of the week!!!!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »
So I just went to the powder coaters to get an estimate, not sure what I was thinking it would cost, but for $45 I left it there it'll be done by the end of the week!!!!

Sounds like a great decision to me.  I would have guessed it would have cost more.  Great job so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the results!
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »

That seems like a great deal to me.  I would have guessed it would cost more, but I've never had anything powder coated.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »

Ha, I would have done the same. I know you'll keep us updated. 8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
yesterday I did some cleaning on the grill grate, It was gross! Waiting on some cleaning pads that I ordered to get the heavy crud off....can't wait for the end of the week! Frame will be just like new! I would have paid $150 to have it powder coated, so glad I didn't wait to get the estimate. When he said $45 I was ecstatic, We went into the office to do the paperwork and he told his receptionist to write it up and it was $45, I said make it $50 since you guys are on it so fast... He was a little shocked, look on his face was interesting...LOL   That is all for now.  except now im headed over to Amazon to buy an A-mazen tube smoker ( @MikeRocksTheRed  fault for trying to smoke butter) I will use it for salt also.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 08:13:40 PM »
@varekai -  Peer pressure is contagious here!  You got a ranch, so I went and got a ranch...I got a amaz-n-tube smoker now you are getting one.  I guess its my turn to follow you next!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
Question is which cold smoker, I'm on amazon looking at the tube and the maze.. and now I'm reading troys review on the kettle page... decisions decisions...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
Question is which cold smoker, I'm on amazon looking at the tube and the maze.. and now I'm reading troys review on the kettle page... decisions decisions...

I'd probably go the maze route if I had to redo my purchase.  The tube kind of spills pellets out of the end when you lay it down in the grill.  The maze lets you smoke a lot longer if you needed to.  I like my tube though because it burns for about 6 hours which is how long I like to do my cheese.   When there isn't anymore smoke coming out of the grill, the cheese is done.

Also, do you have a torch or something like that for lighting the pellets.  They can be a bit tricky to light.  I ended up getting alcohol gel which works really good.  I've since been gifted a looftlighter that works even better, but would be an expensive purchase just for lighting some wood pellets!