Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey joe platinum vs jumbo joe  (Read 4612 times)

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
Smokey joe platinum vs jumbo joe
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »

Please vote which is better. Side vent or bottom vent air control.

If u had to choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smokey joe platinum vs jumbo joe
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »
I can only comment on the platinum. With the side vents, there is almost zero chance of restricted air flow. That's great for long, low and slow cooks. I've also done regular grilling on mine, works great for that too. For me, the biggest issue with the platinum is the damn cooking grate. You can only get it from Weber. Not a big deal, if it's in stock.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »
I can only comment on the platinum. With the side vents, there is almost zero chance of restricted air flow. That's great for long, low and slow cooks. I've also done regular grilling on mine, works great for that too. For me, the biggest issue with the platinum is the damn cooking grate. You can only get it from Weber. Not a big deal, if it's in stock.

That is the one thing that bugs me as well. If Weber decides to stop making the grates we are in a tough spot. 

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
I just very recently got a new cooking grate for my platinum. It took almost two months to get, as they were getting more produced. Weber CS is awesome and kept me informed of the expected delivery date.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »
Can anyone tell me if an 18" WSM center will fit on the new SJP???
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
I just picked up a very dirty Jumbo Joe, that is in excellent physical condition, for $10  ;D

@Speedster I'll give you my first hand experience with the JJ (compared to the SJP), once I clean it up and do a low and slow cook on it. Probably this weekend...

@swamprb If you still need the info you requested, I can do a test fit tomorrow...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
I just picked up a very dirty Jumbo Joe, that is in excellent physical condition, for $10  ;D

@Speedster I'll give you my first hand experience with the JJ (compared to the SJP), once I clean it up and do a low and slow cook on it. Probably this weekend...

@swamprb If you still need the info you requested, I can do a test fit tomorrow...

I would appreciate it! @Jason
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »
Never used the Jumbo Joe but used the Smokey Joe Platinum at a cabin and really liked it and wanted to get one but found out they don't make them anymore.  I'm hesitant on getting the newer Jumbo Joe because of the bottom vent.  Seems I'm opposite of most people but I really like the side vents and not the bottom vent on the JJ. 

I live in a somewhat windy area and camp where it gets windy and don't like the possibility of hot coals dropping out the bottom and being blown all over.  Also don't like ash just dropping out and making a mess.   I usually slow cook or when cooking anything else I try to keep my pit temperature below 350* because anything above that I'm probably going to burn it.  So don't need the higher heat the Jumbo Joe can put out.  Am I missing something about the Jumbo Joe?  Seems like the Smokey Joe Platinum is a better design for my needs. 

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
I got a platinum from cl the grate was not salvageable. so I got some stainless hex bolts nuts and washers drilled some holes and am using a regular 18 grate. not super happy with it but it works for now. shoulda had more patience

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
I have a value question, local CL shows a guy that has a Smokey Joe Platinum NOS in the box. What is the value of one and is it worth the time to pick it up ? I saw the photos and yes it's a platinum !

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »
I have a value question, local CL shows a guy that has a Smokey Joe Platinum NOS in the box. What is the value of one and is it worth the time to pick it up ? I saw the photos and yes it's a platinum !

what is he asking? me personally wouldn't go over 30 for it. but that's mpo

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:38:49 AM »
€50

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:02:34 AM »
I would say a new in box is definitely worth more than $30, but again this is just based on what I have seen them sell for in used condition.  A new one comes with an original wood handle which someone would probably pay $20 just for that.  It is just what the market is doing.  It's weird I see things sell on Ebay for $50 one week and then sitting at $20 the next.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:04:34 AM »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:29:46 AM »
@LiquidOcelot
@Josh G

Both Appliance Factory Parts and Ereplacementparts are showing they have the SJP cook grate (part 70605) in stock:

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/551740/135920/

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cooking-grate-18534-p-1475799.html?osCsid=u2pq0fmlqdbcbo7l0i16524ua3
sweet I Like that appliance has 9 dollar flat shipping e replacement gets crazy fast