Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Trek and Thank you  (Read 1587 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
The Trek and Thank you
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:46:48 PM »
A little back story. I posted on a topic here a couple of months back (it was a topic about 26ers) where I mentioned that we "peasants" cannot afford a new one. @Cellar2ful (Jim) message me with "a remedy to my peasant situation". He had an older 26er that was nicknamed ZZ top (due to the top handle being slanted). It also was missing the back handle. He said if you want it, its yours. I immediately said of course I want it, but with him being about 6 hours away and my erratic work schedule (and the fact that my bugs power plant was on its way out the door), I wasnt able to pick it up. I would frequently PM Cellar, asking how ZZ is doing and that I am trying to find someone to grab it and agent it down to my area.

Enter @varekai (Darin) and @dazzo (Rick). Jim dropped off my faded 26er to Rick for safe keeping after he found out that Darin would be going up that way to pick up a Hibachi. Darin picked it up yesterday and just so happened to be going to a local restaurant right by where I live. Sadly, I would not be there because I was out of town with the family until I had to go to work @ 230pm. A couple of phone calls later and ZZ was delievered to a friends house, which at 11pm after I got off, I went and picked up. I stuffed it in my bug (which has a new, larger CCd engine now) and drove home.

I have since dismantled the rest of ZZ (Legs, wheels, etc) ans started the cleaning process. The bowl and top are immaculate, so its onto scrubbing the legs. I will probably paint the triangle black/gray, paint the white wall back onto the wheels, and will either find a back handle OR maybe put a bail on the back so i can hold the lid (after I weld up the holes where the old handle was) and order a new bottom grate and ash pan. I cant wait to cook on this one.

I want to give a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU!!!! to Darin, Rick, and of course, Jim (who gave me this beauty). I am very grateful for what you have done. I am happy kettle karma comes back, and I am sending some your way. Ill post pics of the dismantle and cant wait to cook on this. Ill have to break ZZ in with some ribs, dont you think?!?

To read Darins post, go here:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-shout-out-to-dazzo/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:59:37 PM by Vwbuggin64 »
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
The Trek and Thank you
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
We've all been following this story for the past few threads. So cool, fella's. I was wondering if "ZZ Top" was @Cellar2ful "choptop". Did we have a name change somewhere down the line or am I mistaken? Looking forward to seeing some pics. @MadMax reached out to me earlier this year when I joined the club and offered me my first old school 26 wheeler. For no reason at all. Just the type of guys that make this club. Great story, great work to all involved. Proud to be a member here. Great story, boys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:20:50 PM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
The Trek and Thank you
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »
Congrats on the 26er.  Such a fantastic size and my favorite to smoke on. And that's including my 18 wsm. Come to think of it, I like the 22 kettle better than the wsm for smoking. Guess I'm just a kettle guy [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:26:50 AM by HoosierKettle »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: The Trek and Thank you
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:29:46 AM »
It's actually a cool kettle, and considering ZZ Top is one of my favorite bands...

Chatting with Darin while the bowl sat upside-down in the truck, the inspiration for the bale "appeared".

Everything just lined up. I want to see that mod.

"They come runnin' just as fast as they can, 'cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man."

Dude, relax your chicken.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:23:23 PM »

Glad to hear you are happy with the "ZZ Chop Top" 26er @Vwbuggin64.  I was gifted that 26er by long time member @argentflame earlier this year.  Once I acquired "Misty" (my coppermist 26"), I felt it was best to pass it on to another member, as I knew I would neglect it. I was able to straighten the lid lip and knock out some of the dents before I shipped it down to you. This is what it looked like in the begining.

We've all been following this story for the past few threads. So cool, fella's. I was wondering if "ZZ Top" was @Cellar2ful "choptop". Did we have a name change somewhere down the line or am I mistaken?

Read your post (reply#4) on this thread from July of this year Travis.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/just-picked-up-this/msg235338/#msg235338

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »

Anyone that has followed ZZ Chop Top's travels, here is a thread as to how @argentflame rescued it from going to the scrap metal heap in 2015.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/scrap-metal-score-of-the-day/msg164810/#msg164810
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
@Cellar2ful
That's cool [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk