Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help from the masters on 1 gal tank replacement on old style Performer  (Read 4280 times)

BobInCalifornia

• Happy Cooker
I need the gurus!

I have a lovely new Performer but kept my original (90's) Performer touch-n-go as well.  I have reach the dreaded expired tank stage and in addition to no one really wanting to fill a 1 gal tank with a 1/4" type II quick disconnected (CGA 810), now they legally can't.

In looking for a replacement tank it seems like they really aren't made with the CGA 810 any more... so I would like to move to a 5 gal tank (like I did on my new Performer) which will require a hose from the Type 1 connector on the new tanks to a female CGA 810.  I can't find that adapter hose anywhere.

Did I complete misunderstand what I need to do?

Thanks for any suggestions from you wise forum members!
2 Performer Touch-n-gos (pre 2000 and 2015)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
@BobInCalifornia , I posed that same question to an RV repair/ propane sales store here in my town, They said they would fill no problem. I had another tank re certified and it was only $5... FWIW.   And welcome to the club.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

BobInCalifornia

• Happy Cooker
I may have to come up to Paso Robles to get it done... I am in Santa Monica and no one seems to want to touch either the recent or the tank.  I have increased my search to RV places now though!  My mother is in Lompoc so it isn't much of a haul to get to PR from there if you have a place that can handle it!

The problem is that when the grill makers abandoned QC, so did the tank makers.  There are a zillion connection types... but if any one knows of a Type I (Acme) to Type II (810 CGA) hose that is 3-5' let me know... that would put the issue back in the realm of supported products!
2 Performer Touch-n-gos (pre 2000 and 2015)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Bob a RV repair should be able to make a hose to do what you want it to. They'll probably need to reuse part of the original gas line/orifice from your performer to make a new one with whatever connector you want.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Not sure if this is what you are getting at, but I just get an ACME fitting and swap out the old QR fitting. If you have a new OPV tank.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=acme+fittings++Mr+Heater&tbm=shop

So basically what I do is remove the QR fitting and replace it with the Acme nut. A deep socket (forget the size) gets it done. Use some pipe dope on the treads.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=acme+fittings++Mr+Heater&tbm=shop&spd=11032951487953882384

This is an old mod I did on my Performer T&G so I could also use the disposable tanks-or run a bulk 5 gallon tank via a Q bulk hose.

Its a Harbor Freight refill adapter on the old style POL fitting.

My local ACE has all the Mr Heater fittings to get the mod done.

I've been able to remove some of the tank QR fittings and just take them off when I get the tank refilled. I use the male end on my Harbor Freight weed torches and use the female QR's in smaller tanks.

Hope this helps!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!