Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: weber kettle = smoker?  (Read 1990 times)

marksiebel

• Happy Cooker
weber kettle = smoker?
« on: November 25, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
can I use my 18" kettle as a smoker?  or just buy the smokey mtn. cooker?   

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: weber kettle = smoker?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »
Welcome to the club, yes you can use your 18 to smoke. You can run a snake of coals around the perimeter and light one end and close down vents till you get to target temp.  Search word would be snake or fuse. You could also use a charcoal basket and add coals as you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marksiebel

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 05:44:56 PM »
cool...what about wood?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
Hello and welcome to the club! Don't see why you couldn't use an 18, especially if using the snake as @iCARRY mentioned. Only downside I could think of would be the limited space. At least with a wsm (which I don't have) you have more surface since the fire is below. And two levels of available racks

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
I really like apple, cherry, pecan, and hickory.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
I had a WSM and sold it. Great smoker, but I can do everything I did on my WSM's on my kettles. I'm sure you can smoke just fine on an 18 using something like the snake method (as mentioned).

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »
Cajun Bandit!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »
can I use my 18" kettle as a smoker?  or just buy the smokey mtn. cooker?

@marksiebel , absolutely!!  As mentioned above, the snake / fuse method is your friend.

I have done the snake method in my 18" Outrider with success … Albeit, it has a different intake set-up to a standard 18" kettle.
But, I am sure that with a little creativity and experimentation, you could get it done.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/the-18'-outrider-is-a-great-cooker/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 01:50:55 AM »
I don't own an 18 but I do own an 18 Inch WSM.  Only time I use it is when I'm smoking larger quantities than I could get on the kettle.  It's rare but does happen.  So maybe look to how many times you get a calling for that extra space before making a decision.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 05:24:18 AM »
   Hello marksiebel and welcome to the club the perfect setup for your 18" kettle would be the cajun bandit stacker,coal ring and diffuser. It gives you two levels to smoke on just like the wsm and with the one touch cleaning system you have the opportunity to sweep the bottom during long smokes. Cant do that on a wsm or a jumbo joe and I've got both. I also drilled a hole and installed a wsm grommet, for my toys of course. I'm gonna guess since you have an 18" kettle, you dont want to clutter up what space you have and you'll be smoking as well as the pro's. Let us know which way you go.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.