Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Judging a Peformer by its Cover  (Read 3814 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Judging a Peformer by its Cover
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
Hello, my name is Mike and I'm addicted to Weber grills.

Either that, or y'all are having a terrible effect on me.  I've heard of 'perving' grills, and I will admit to slow drives through the neighborhood before trash pick-up to look for kettles (which is how I found my P Smokey Joe).  And yeah, there's that one legless 3-wheeler I see when I'm walking my daughter to school... 

...anyway, where was I?  Oh, yeah, I was driving to pick up my daughter after school one day, and I was peering through the leafless trees onto someone's side patio.  It took a couple more trips, but I'm sure it's a Performer.  The question is, which era?  Followed quickly by, which color?  The mystery would be solved much faster if the owner would *use* it a bit more often, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone can help me tell an SS from a Thermoset-era Performer based on viewing it with the cover in place.  I'm thinking that the SS would be much more square on the table end, and the later-era Performer would be rounded a bit more.  Of course, the grill is parked with its table toward the road, so I might need another way to tell what this thing is. 

I know, I know, I could just walk up and knock on the door.  But I'll need to hang out here a *lot* longer before I have the guts to do that. 
One of the charcoal people.

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: Judging a Peformer by its Cover
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Is it a grill others can see or you only saw because you were peeking(creeper)?  I ask because if it's out in the open you can say you noticed it and want to know if it's for sale...

If it's not out in the open just tell them you were watching them in their window and you thought they might sell it lol

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
The shape must be different, because when you order the covers they are different sizes.  I will try to find a picture of both. 

NOT that I am encouraging this behavior, it's just for informational purposes only..   

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
The older SS performer is much longer on the table side because of the frame that juts out. It is also square on that end, whereas the newer ones are rounder.

Old style cover:

New style:

note, the wheels are also different which should be visible from below the cover. The older SS ones have the white circular WEBER ring, whereas the newer ones have the grey "daisy-looking" or solid hubcaps. The newer one also has a tubular frame on the caster whereas the older ones are square tubing. That might also be visible with the cover on.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Very nice.  You can learn everything you need to know about Weber at the WKC..

We need a theme song now.

Thanks pbe bear
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:59:06 PM by reillyranch »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
Is it a grill others can see or you only saw because you were peeking(creeper)?

Either way, it's a creeper.   And we all approve...  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
pbe = genius. Thanks!

Dang, I'm thinking it's stainless.  Kinda hard to tell, because I'm viewing it from the table end, but it does look longer and more square.   I don't know if I'll be able to discern square vs. tubular legs from the distance of the street, but I'll surely try. 

It's on the side of the house, so it is technically visible.  But it would prolly appear a bit pervy to a normal person.  So it'll be a good while before I go knocking on any doors.  Besides, who would ever sell me a red SS?  The guy who has that *wants* it, right? 

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
OK, What's under cover number 2?

This is not mine, I saw it on a Iowa real estate site, the house was for sale.  I emailed the realitor but got nothing back..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:27:26 PM by reillyranch »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
I'll take whats under cover number 2, Monty!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »
There's no harm in asking..... You might make a buddy like Brian
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
What's the address, Mike?  I have no shame in knocking on their door and scamming getting the red ss out from under for you...  :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:46:01 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
It's looking pretty rounded today.  The light was hitting it differently this morning, and I cold see a definite curve to the table.  I'll try to get a better look at the wheels, but I'm standing down from Kettle Alert Status 1 for the time being. 

Thanks for having my back, Chad.  ;-)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »
...and I think I saw full hubcaps on it this afternoon.  Time to find a different route for the school carpool.  ;-)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
It's not just a carpool, it's an adventure!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
Well, Monday (today) was my lucky day.  The cover was still off from the weekend, and I got a good look at her-- a modern era Thermoset Performer, in black.  Not a bad grill at all, but I'm not interested.  Now I can definitely find a new route to school. 

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through my first formal perv.