Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal question  (Read 3028 times)

Frales

• Smokey Joe
Charcoal question
« on: November 02, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
Just got a wk22 and getting ready to buy charcoal, after researching brands and types and seeing what is available at my local stores I've chosen to use all natural Stubbs or royal oak and Kamado Joe lump. Anyone know of anything bad about these brands? Tks in advance.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Re: Charcoal question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Nothing bad about either.  But I will say TRY it all if you haven't.  Then you'll know what and why you like something.  Plus, you may encounter situations where those are unavailable and you have to switch it up.

I generally go with standard issue kingsford because it gives predictable results, doesn't add any weird undesirable flavors that I can detect, and is reasonably priced...especially around July 4th, Labor Day, and Memorial Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
I like Stubbs and it does really well on long and slow cooks. My favorite is regular kingsford and it's a little cheaper than the Stubbs. Just picked up a bag of Kingsford professional for the first time earlier this week and it burns really really hot and is great for searing steaks. From now on I'll use regular kingsford for low and slow and the professional for direct grilling and searing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
Touchy subject round these parts. [emoji51]
I run kbb for most of my grilling. Like @blksabbath said, you can stock up on that stuff for cheap 3 times a year. 3 times right?
I've been using Stubbs briquettes for low and slows recently. Less ash and less smoke as it ignites. They also run sales on that around the same time.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
If you cut me I bleed kbb. Sadly I haven't experimented much but it's so darn reliable.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »
I have a good selection of charcoal. The Stubbs and Kamado Joe Lump are outstanding products. Use a mix for best results is what I would advise for the majority of cooks. Royal Oak lump is mighty good too although not as dense and long burning as the Kamado Joe stuff.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »

I run kbb for most of my grilling. Like @blksabbath said, you can stock up on that stuff for cheap 3 times a year. 3 times right?
I've been using Stubbs briquettes for low and slows recently. Less ash and less smoke as it ignites. They also run sales on that around the same time.

Where at?  Lowes used to have great deals on kbb but I must be missing them because I haven't seen it cheap for a couple years. I have been paying 18 for 2 bags at sams and I know there is better deals. When and where are the deals that you guys find?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 05:29:34 PM »
After starting charcoal cooking with RO lump I switched to Stubbs. No sparking and popping when lighting and no uncarbonized pieces to put bad smoke in the kettle. Stubbs burns super clean and very low ash. Try a few out and come to your own conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
@HoosierKettle
Lowe's and H/D have sales for Memorial Day weekends, 4th of July weekend and Labor Day weekend. 2-18.6 lb bags for $10. Stubb's if I remember will be around $6 per bag.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks brother, I'll make sure to stock up next time around.

Frales

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
Tks for the guidance;) I'll try em all! Cmon Cubs!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 07:19:33 PM »

can I say Meee too???  Travis hit the nail on teh head.  Long and slow, Stubbs.  Standard fare and medium cooks... KBB  same reasoning...

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
I love Stubbs. That and Coshell believe it or not. Ive had issues with Royal Oak (red bag), but others love it. Its all about you and what your tastes are. Try all of them and note which one works for you.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 01:27:48 AM »
I use mostly KBB and stock up on it when Lowes and Home Depot run their sales.  I was also able to catch the clearance sale at Tractor Supply at the "end of the season".  I did pick up a few bags of Stubbs when it was on sale, too.  Stubbs does burn cleaner and I hear that it doesn't burn as hot as KBB.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 01:57:41 AM »
KBB, but I'm constantly looking for super sales. Like others stock up on the big holiday sales. If I find a random super sale along the way of Stubbs or even a store brand charcoal, I'll load up.  Other than the Charcoal that has bits of hickory in it, I don't detect a big difference in smell/taste.  Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM