Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Two reds, one looker and one cooker  (Read 4040 times)

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
Re: Two reds, one looker and one cooker
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »
Wow.....great story and what a haul.  Love all the reds.  That 18 is nearly perfect.  I just picked one up yesterday that is in worse shape than your "looker".  Should be a fun RRR......maybe I'll make a shorty out of it too.

Whit

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »
I met @Mr.CPHo while on a road trip and we did the trade.  We had been talking back and forth by email and text and thought we had it all planned out.  Then, Hurricane Matthew had to stick his nose all up in our business.  I thought I was going to have to cancel my trip due to no power at my house and roads were closed due to trees down and flooding.

Then at the last minute I found myself able to go.  I made a phone call, we renewed our plans, met up and made a trade.  Then, I started thinking (not a good idea) and thought I might have left the ash pan at home in my rush to get on the road.  As it turned out, I did remember the ash pan and all was well.

I would have liked to have stayed and chatted with Mr & Mrs CPHo but I still had 4 hours to drive.  In my haste to get back on the road, I forgot the triangle to my grill.  I got a text reminding me and a promise to ship it to me.  No problem, I wasn't worried, I knew by talking with Charlie that he was a man of his word.

I arrive at the cabin where I was going to spend a few days and they had a Weber grill on the deck for renters to use.  Well, I robbed the legs from it and put them on my new (to me) Brownie. 

Got the chimney fired up getting it ready to grill.

Gonna throw on a couple of pieces of Angus.

Seared both sides and cooked indirect to medium rare.

The next day I did some Vortex wings and then put the donor kettle back together and loaded the Brownie up for the ride back home.

To recap my week, made it through a hurricane with no damage, cancelled my trip, then the trip was back on, met a great guy and his lovely wife, made a trade the both of us are happy with, was able to cook some awesome food on my new grill, made it back home safely.  What a week!

Someone will probably mention the handles on the Brownie.  No, they are not period correct, but they work.  Like I told Charlie, I'm a cooker, not a collector.  But, I can appreciate all of the older Webers that all of you have.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »
Great job guys! Isn't cool to start meeting grillfella' and trading up! It makes this forum really fun.
@Geezer. That brownie is beautiful! And what a way to break her in than some ribeyes and wings!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Great job guys! Isn't cool to start meeting grillfella' and trading up! It makes this forum really fun.
@Geezer. That brownie is beautiful! And what a way to break her in than some ribeyes and wings!

Agreed.  I met a great couple because of this forum.  And, we have grills that have seen some travel, too.  I bought that red head in Richmond, VA and it's made it's way to Jacksonville, FL.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 04:40:33 PM »
@Geezer, I was pretty relieved to hear you were able to swap out the legs from the rental's grill.  I felt awful thinking I'd screwed up your cooking plans. 

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
@Geezer, I was pretty relieved to hear you were able to swap out the legs from the rental's grill.  I felt awful thinking I'd screwed up your cooking plans. 

I'm a hillbilly, we'll figure out a way to get something done.  LOL

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 06:25:56 AM »
@Mr.CPHo Glad it worked out and you got the estate sale red.  It cleaned up really well.  Have you considered switching the pans between the looker and the cooker?  I'm pretty sure the rolled edge twist on pan is period correct on the looker.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »

@Mr.CPHo Glad it worked out and you got the estate sale red.  It cleaned up really well.  Have you considered switching the pans between the looker and the cooker?  I'm pretty sure the rolled edge twist on pan is period correct on the looker.
Yes, I've considered swapping ash pans, however I plan to use the cooker for an upcoming camping trip, and I think the twist on ash pan provides more "coverage" under the three wheeler to catch more ash.  I may switch them in the future, but to be honest, I'm eyeing another early 80's black 18.5" that has the right ash pan.  It's located close to where I'm camping so hopefully I can scoop it up and utilize its ash pan. 

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »

I'm eyeing another early 80's black 18.5" that has the right ash pan.  It's located close to where I'm camping so hopefully I can scoop it up and utilize its ash pan. 

If there's ever a contest on who's grills have the most miles on them, you're going to win easily.  LOL