Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Painting the triangle/ash pan  (Read 2246 times)

beernbrowns

• Smokey Joe
Painting the triangle/ash pan
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone paint their triangles/ash pans during a restore? I'm on my second restore, working on an red 18" pat-pending kettle ($10 Letgo find). I'm not sure if painting it would be considered less authentic. The triangle was in bad shape, but I was able to clean it up pretty well, just not sure if I should add a coat of metallic/chrome/silver paint to it. Same goes for the ash pan.

Thoughts?

beernbrowns

• Smokey Joe
Re: Painting the triangle/ash pan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
p.s - can someone explain how to add pictures. I'd like to post a few.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »

I have never painted an ash pan but have painted plenty of triangles. After cleaning all the rust off with a drill and wire bell attachment, if they are pitted to bad I spray them with Rust-Oleum primer/filler and then spray with metallic paint.

Here is one after painting.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Paint it black. Been there there done that. Some triangles were black from the factory.

beernbrowns

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
I used a drill and wire bell, and it is pitted pretty bad. This is my main reasoning for wanting to paint it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »
p.s - can someone explain how to add pictures. I'd like to post a few.

Here is a thread explaining how to post pictures on the Forum. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/msg22570/#msg22570

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »

You can paint it any color you want. Depends on what you are going for.  Restoring to original condition or tricking/modding it out.  I have seen them painted to match the color of the kettle or black like Darko mentioned. 

beernbrowns

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
Cellar2ful - Overall I'm going for the original look.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
@beernbrowns, can't wait to see your 18" redhead's final restoration pics no matter which way you choose to go. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
I know that I have seen some nice looking triangles that were painted with the metallic paint on here somewhere. @Cellar2ful , they were probably yours!
I have painted some of them black myself.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 02:23:14 PM »

@beernbrowns- When the triangles get pitted like this, your only recourse is to paint or replace them with a triangle from a donor kettle.  This was after all the rust was removed.

Here is a a triangle painted with chrome paint. The red kettle in my previous post is painted with metallic paint.  The Rust-Oleum primer/filler does a great job filling in the pitting. IMO, the chrome paint gives it a closer to original look. The downside is the chrome paint takes a lot longer to dry before you can handle it.

Good luck on the restoration of your redhead 18".  Looking forward to seeing pictures.  And by the way, welcome to the Forum from the San Francisco Bay Area.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 02:52:49 PM »
I have a triangle that I will be powdercoating,  it's not terrible but doesn't meet my expectations.  So sandblasting and powdercoating is in order!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »
I have a triangle that I will be powdercoating,  it's not terrible but doesn't meet my expectations.  So sandblasting and powdercoating is in order! [/URL]

What is the cost to sandblast and powder coat or do you have connections?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 03:45:56 PM »
I've got a couple triangles that are black that I touched up with hammerite. Painted a couple rusted ones I sandblasted then hit with primer then Red engine paint. All have held up well.

Never really gave it much thought to take pics of the triangles, I prefer the heftier ones and swap out the cheap ones.

Did an ash can on my Cajun Bandit Master-Touch in black and it flaked off.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:54:26 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Debating powder coating the legs, triangle, OTG ash can assembly, and top vent black on an 18. Just not sure it can hold up to the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk