Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Difference between old and modern kettles  (Read 3897 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Difference between old and modern kettles
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:03:17 AM »
I used my new to me mbh and my ot silver last night side by side. I haven't used an older kettle for years. Does anyone else notice a difference in the way they cook?  The smaller holes seemed to me like it doesn't run as hot as modern equivalents using the same amount of coals. I could run vents wide open and it seems more fool proof as far as not torching the food. This is both good or bad depending on what your cooking but the newer kettle vent system seems to have a wider temperature range you can tap into using 1 chimney full of coal. Is this just in my head?  Either way both are great just a subtle difference in cooking that I noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Difference between old and modern kettles
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »
I have not used my A code MBH yet to compare but I have heard folks claim that the old 3 wheelers are the best things for low and slow and snake method cooks. I've wondered about the amount of air allowed in as well.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:13:20 AM »
Yeah man, that sounds right after my initial run. I think it would cook nicely for low and slow. Probably even with all vents open. Not sure til I try though.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:14:40 AM »
You'll still have to adjust vents for low n slow. I'm still learning the wheelers myself, but if cooking indirect 200-300, I've been running the two vents under the food closed and the one under the coals about half and adjust from there. If I'm going for a med-high heat, I've been starting all vent open until close to desired temp and then shutting them down equally. I'm sure everyone has their own way, and like I said I'm still learning wheelers, but it's been working pretty well for me so far. Not to say I won't change it up later either.
I can't say I've noticed  a difference on high heat cooks between the two because honestly I don't do many high heat cooks other than steaks. I'll have to pay attention to that.
Hey, how did you like cooking on that red, wheeler? Fun isn't it! Did you see the fade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 05:25:17 AM »
Yes. It was awesome. Unfortunately it was dark by the time I got it ready to cook so I had to use a flashlight to see the color Change. Can't wait to use it on the weekend so the family can see it. I was in such a hurry to try it out that I only did a quick scrape on the inside and a quick steel wool on the outside but I can't believe how good of shape it's in.

And I always like the look of the coals at night. I never noticed the k on the kingsford until this cook.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:13:55 AM »
Your OT or OTG is better for grilling or high heat smoking while the 3 wheeler is better for low and slow. And yes I do believe a OT allows for more air in.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 06:15:28 AM »
Yeah, that's a sweet red. I can sense the "webertitus" setting in. Clear room on the patio, brother. I think your gonna need it. [emoji41]

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
It kind of makes me wonder about the older 3 wheeler vent hole size vs. the Silver 3 wheelers. Ash buildup or cooking styles?

Why would Weber make the Economy Kettle with the internal ash pan - as well as the Happy Cooker?  And then abandon it?  I'm pretty sure HC's went through a vent hole size change as well. @Idahawk may be able to confirm? My flip top has smaller dia. stainless steel vents/holes.

My old 26'r was so easy to cook low n slow and it had the smaller holes, and I can really tell the difference using the Economy/Happy Cooker internal ash pan in a One Touch.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 06:36:06 PM »
When it comes to airflow, the 3-wheelers are much better …. trust me ….

I can run a snake …. 2 vents closed …. vent opposite the heat fully open … lid vent is fully open and also opposite the heat ….
Easily runs at 275-300°.  Done overnights using this method.

Only problem is … theory and practical sometimes conflict …. ash build-up seems to mess-up this theory …

So, I continue to use my OTs for 99% of my cook-ups ….  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 01:40:54 AM »
That is a really beautiful Red!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 05:11:13 AM »

I can run a snake …. 2 vents closed …. vent opposite the heat fully open … lid vent is fully open and also opposite the heat ….

Only problem is … theory and practical sometimes conflict …. ash build-up seems to mess-up this theory …

Hey Mac, so you run the vents on the coal side closed and the meat side open? I've been running the exact opposite. Had good success so far. Is there a thought behind that or is it just the way you've always done it? Also, what do you mean about the ash build up? Does it get to your open vent? I'll try it your way next session.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 05:44:12 AM »

Hey Mac, so you run the vents on the coal side closed and the meat side open? I've been running the exact opposite. Had good success so far. Is there a thought behind that or is it just the way you've always done it? Also, what do you mean about the ash build up? Does it get to your open vent? I'll try it your way next session.

Hey Travis, yes, that is the way I run it.  I might have picked it up from buckie or Duke …. or both.
Not sure why I mentioned ash build-up …  ??? :-\  I don't usually have any issues regarding that when I run a snake in the 3-wheeler.

To the original question of the OP, I suppose it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges … But, not really … But, sort of.
When the OT system is wide open, three holes allow air in …. When the 3-wheeler is wide open, twelve holes are allowing air in. 
It's amazing how smaller holes will provide a better environment for convection. 
These are just my thoughts … I've been known to have my head up my a$$ sometimes.  :o ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 05:48:15 AM »

Hey Travis, yes, that is the way I run it.  I might have picked it up from buckie or Duke …. or both.
Not sure why I mentioned ash build-up …  ??? :-\  I don't usually have any issues regarding that when I run a snake in the 3-wheeler.

To the original question of the OP, I suppose it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges … But, not really … But, sort of.
When the OT system is wide open, three holes allow air in …. When the 3-wheeler is wide open, twelve holes are allowing air in. 
It's amazing how smaller holes will provide a better environment for convection. 
These are just my thoughts … I've been known to have my head up my a$$ sometimes.  :o ;)
Cool, good to know. The one thing I've had happen running a snake on my three wheeler like I mentioned is the ash. It's never affected the temp, but I think it's because I check for it. I'll run a twig up the holes just to keep her clear. I'll reverse it next time. Thx

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 06:43:30 AM »
It kind of makes me wonder about the older 3 wheeler vent hole size vs. the Silver 3 wheelers. Ash buildup or cooking styles?

Why would Weber make the Economy Kettle with the internal ash pan - as well as the Happy Cooker?  And then abandon it?  I'm pretty sure HC's went through a vent hole size change as well. @Idahawk may be able to confirm? My flip top has smaller dia. stainless steel vents/holes.

My old 26'r was so easy to cook low n slow and it had the smaller holes, and I can really tell the difference using the Economy/Happy Cooker internal ash pan in a One Touch.

Sears Economy Kettle schematics: Note #11?? No Part #

http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?model=1343

It should be on everyones Grail List!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »

Sears Economy Kettle schematics: Note #11?? No Part #

http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?model=1343

It should be on everyones Grail List!

Cool i never realized Weber made an internal ash pan kettle

BBQ to live live to BBQ