Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any love for the Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe?  (Read 6102 times)

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Any love for the Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe?
« on: October 05, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
I know a lot of us here have Smokey Joe's, but does anyone use their Joe regularly or on a semi regular basis? I bought mine for camping and it gets used at least once a month camping and usually another time or two at home for really small cooks. I like using my Joe with the the compact chimney starter to save on charcoal.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »
I love my Joes...Smokey and Jumbo. I use my Jumbo more, because I use the roti kit for rotisserie chicken. Hamburgers and steaks are what I usually cook on the smokey when there are only the wife and I. So I would guess that I use my JJ once a week and the SJ twice a month. The rotisserie kit is a nice accessory for the JJ if you don't have one.

Two zone cook with the SJ using a fire brick in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:18:17 PM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
I also love my Jumbo Joe!  I got a JJ for camping instead of bringing my full size grill and it was a great addition to my Weber family because it's so versatile.  I discovered it was the perfect counterpart to my 18.5" WSM.  At one point I involved my JJ in almost every single cook; it makes a great place to start briquettes in a chimney and for making sides in cast iron. 
Great for roasting veggies
I often use a 5qt dutch oven which fits perfectly inside a snake for stews, chili, carnitas, etc

I even use my JJ to make my spaghetti sauce by first roasting beef marrow bones and veggies as the base, cooking some meatballs over direct and combining. 
I loved the JJ so much, I made a midget, which is even more useful due to the increased height, but same size footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:52:06 AM by Mr.CPHo »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Any love for the Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
My first Weber was a SJ.  Used it nearly daily at the dock for meals instead of eating crappy take out food for lunch.  After a while and getting my first 22 inch kettle I use it much less but if I had to do it all over again and could only have one I'd select a JJ simply for the versatility. 

Nice post @Mr.CPHo

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »

I'm loving my Joe so far. Actually added a second Joe in black that I adopted today.

Looking forward to more cooks and mods in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »

I'm loving my Joe so far. Actually added a second Joe in black that I adopted today.

Looking forward to more cooks and mods in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sounds like the early onset of Weberitis.  Just go with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 05:07:45 AM »
I'm a member of the SJ club.  I have 4.   It started me
On my weberitis!!!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
I think they're OK. I have one or two;

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »
I used to use my SJ for bacon and eggs. I have since donated it to a guy at work so he can have a weber (he was going to go buy a char-broil, so sad) and have upgraded to a Jumbo Joe. Still cook bacon and eggs on it when I'm off my shift work. Nothing makes eggs taste better then charcoal.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
I'll need to try breakfast on the kettle sometime.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't really have feelings for the SJP/Jumbo Joe's. If I had a RED one, I would be creaming over it!

SJS gets used more in Mini Cajun Bandit Smoker Joe mod around the Bone Shack

Until then the 18" Cajun Bandit does it for me.

@Mr.CPHo @Bustin Butt Thank you for rekindling the flame of inspiration!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

and galley ques....

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
@ harris92     That's not fair!   

They are all too beautiful. When does your Weber Kettle museum open. I would like to go visit. 

I have few including a red sj score this week and love them all, but nowhere near as nice as ones shown above.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:46:40 PM by greenweb »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
@harris92, yeah, I'd say you've got some love for the Smokey Joe's!![emoji106]

Would you know how I could determine the age of an SJ with an offset handle I picked up recently? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 10:40:03 PM »
The smokey joe is a great grill. I don't use one often but I get great results when I do.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791