Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Webber Kettle Mod Question  (Read 2841 times)

rolandkreed

• Happy Cooker
Webber Kettle Mod Question
« on: September 18, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
I was looking at the mod for the installing the newer ash catcher assembly to a pre 2000 bowl. I cannot find the pre 2000 ash sweeper blade assembly #7409 and this appears my only option. Once the new assembly is attached to the legs with the chosen method, can the old bar be left off so that the new blades with the H-clip will operate properly?

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Re: Webber Kettle Mod Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:48:20 AM »
The blades should fit fine. I installed brand new ones on my H code and they fit well and work great.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 09:42:25 AM »
If you can't reuse the 7409, your only option is to install  the 7444. The old bar won't work with the 7444, so you also have to replace the ash catcher with the newer style. The new  style ash catcher can be installed by either creating slots into leg sockets (ouch), using screws, or hose clamps around the leg sockets. You will find examples of each method on this site.

rolandkreed

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
OK, I went back and looked at the mods again. It appears from the pics of the finished mod that the old bar is removed. I didn't catch at first. That answers my question. Thank you for your assistance. Now all I have to do is get that one problem child bolt out so I can remove the bowl from the table it is installed in.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:25:36 AM by rolandkreed »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
The new ash catchers don't use the bar. You have to use one of the other methods to attach the ash catcher. I like the hose clamps - easy peasy, and looks good - but the other methods work as well.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
I prefer the aluminum strip and pop-rivet method to attach the new ash catcher ring. It hides better than the hose clamps, doesn't touch the kettle in any way, but it does mean putting holes in the ash catcher.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
I used a high speed titanium bit at low speeds and drilled each tab n mounted with SS hardware.  Works just fine.   
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:01 PM »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »
Here's an excellent mod by @swamprb that isn't covered in the link that Troy posted.

@Troy , any way to permanently add this mod as an update to your link?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »
Here's an excellent mod by @swamprb that isn't covered in the link that Troy posted.

I resemble that remark!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 08:02:45 AM »
Here is post from the ash catcher replacement I did on my 96 SS Performer.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/2015-ash-catcher-on-ss-performer-mod/
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »

thanks!

I'll add that update to the perpetual list of things to update!