Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scratch & Dent Sale. Scoring my first Black Kettle.  (Read 5411 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Scratch & Dent Sale. Scoring my first Black Kettle.
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »
So just this last Saturday I was at work, and came up to my returns desk (I work in retail management) and noticed a box in a returns cart....It's a Weber 22.5" OTS box, I immediately perked up..."whats this?" I asked my returns cashier.. she said..."The customer had returned it because the lid had a small scratch on it". The place I work at only has grills on our website and not in our store, so why wouldnt the guy just buy a OTS from Ace, 'Depot, or Lowe's??  :-\ , oh well, I inspected the grill, yeah, just a little porecelain loss on the front lip of the lid, the lid is ever so slightly out of round, not a big deal, and its a BNIB. Long story short, after processing in damages, I was given a resell price of..................$19.98! With my discount, $17.10 for a brand new, never cooked on blackie, yeah its a 2012 model, not exciting as scores go, but it was had for a song as far as I'm concerned. Oh and I had a bonus gift card to use to pay for it so no money out of pocket.  ;D

Heres a few shots....this one, all assembled and looking new, fresh, modern, hip, and with it. Note, this is my first time with the "H" style sweeper, I pinched the sh*t out of my fingers putting it together..  :o

The scratch

The Vent

Shown with 2000-2011 era OTG handles...... just for fun.

I want to make this one a throwback kettle since my red '95 has the gold can already. So, inspired by this sweet black C code 3 wheeler kettle from 1981 (not mine),

I mixed in a couple of wood handles that I have (from Brian) and a rolled lip twisty ash catcher from of a 1985 kettle (from Mike Stavlund) and we have what I like to think of as my new One Touch 30th Anniversary Limited Edition

I have to finish restoring the twist on ash catcher with some elbow grease, so for now it looks like a late '90s kettle.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:15:32 PM by Craig »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Scratch & Dent Sale! Hurry Up and BUY!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »
great story and save, Craig.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Golly

• WKC Performer
Re: Scratch & Dent Sale. Scoring my first Black Kettle.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
greatscore
love the bit about staff discount and then gift card :P ;D
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »

"Note, this is my first time with the "H" style sweeper, I pinched the sh*t out of my fingers putting it together..  "

Thanks, I got one to do tomorrow.....maybe I'll just use the spare hex that's sittin' around  ::)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18:11 AM »
I am honored to have contributed a small part to this important project.  And even happier to be a character in such a great story!

The donor kettle-- a gray that turned Gold-- will be happy to hear of the part it played as well.  It is cooking away at a friend's house, also wearing some incredible Brian handles. 
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »
Right place right time 8)  when you register it call and ask if they would replace the lid?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
You do know that Weber will warranty the lid for free, right?
Then you pass the good Karma on and give the lid to a UDS builder..Just sayin.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..