Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Briquets on sale at Wallyworld in Canada.  (Read 2662 times)

Darko

• WKC Performer
Royal Oak Briquets on sale at Wallyworld in Canada.
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not mods please move.

I was at my local Wallyworld last night and they had royal oak briqs on for 8 bucks for a 16.4 lb bag. So I bought all 10 they had. Perhaps other walmart's in Canada have the same sale as well.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Royal Oak Briquets on sale at Wallyworld in Canada.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:55:26 AM »
I'd like to know from the guys who use these how they are and if anyone can compare them to Stubb's. I called GFS and the lump briquettes they sell are Royal Oak in their own bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I will pick up few bags this week.  Like to see some good sale on charcoal up here some day.

Also, for Canadians looking for Weber covers, Walmart.ca has on-line half price Weber Grill Cover with Storage Bag 22".  http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/weber-grill-cover-with-storage-bag/6000195532436?rrid=richrelevance.   I ordered 3 with no shipping over $50.   

From Homedepot.ca, I like to try weber covers for both 22" and 18".  $12.99 and $9.99 respectively.  https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.products.html#!q=weber%20cover  Highly rated and fairly cheap.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Yeah, I bought a crap load of the 12.99 covers for the 22's at home depot. Just so you know, they fit the new mastertouch kettles, and will fit a 22" with the slide aside lid holder.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »
Ordered 3 of the premium covers from Wally.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »
Did you happen to notice how long the briquette sale is on for?

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »
I'd like to know from the guys who use these how they are and if anyone can compare them to Stubb's. I called GFS and the lump briquettes they sell are Royal Oak in their own bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Stubbs is a cleaner burning briquette, IMO. I use RO for grilling, and Stubbs for smoking. Stubbs briquettes are as close as you can get to the clean burn of lump charcoal while using briquettes.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:47:42 AM »
Did you happen to notice how long the briquette sale is on for?
@Lightning, I have no idea.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »
royal oak briqs on for 8 bucks for a 16.4 lb bag.

I missed out on checking this out …. However, I was just in Canadian Tire, and they were $8 for a 15.7 lb bag.  Picked up two.
Weird how it's such a small variation in weight from bag to bag and different store chains.

Not sure if this is store-wide, or just an in-store clearance.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »
I've been getting them for $8 per bag at Canadian Tire for a while too.  They lowered their prices from $10.99 per bag partway through the summer; last year, Canadian Tire was selling them for $9.99 per bag and I was annoyed at the 10% year over year price increase.  I noticed that CT also lowered the price of Maple Leaf lump charcoal from $21.99 per bag to $19.99 per bag, which is good since that's my favourite lump charcoal.  Oddly, back in April for about two weeks, the Canadian Tire in St. Catharines had Royal Oak briquettes on for $8 per bag.  I discovered this when I was down there checking out the road layout before having a driving test so I stocked up since the store near me at home was charging $10.99 instead of $9.99 at that point, so $8 was a nice deal.  Then after the driving test, I went to stock up again and saw that their prices had jumped from $8 up to the same $10.99.  Who knows how long this pricing's going to last for?

I missed out on checking this out …. However, I was just in Canadian Tire, and they were $8 for a 15.7 lb bag.  Picked up two.
Weird how it's such a small variation in weight from bag to bag and different store chains.

This is deliberate retail sleazery trickery.  The purpose of slightly the bag size between store chains so that they're ever so slightly different is so that you can't comparison shop identical products - since they aren't exactly the same - and take advantage of the "we beat our competitors prices" promises that so many big box store chains make.  That's why large chains who can order enough from any given manufacturer get slight packaging or model number changes so that they don't actually have to beat anybody else's prices since the exact same thing isn't available anywhere else.  Future Shop used to be be guilty of doing this all the time, getting custom runs of computers and printers and monitors and having their own slightly different model numbers put on by the manufacturers (remember installing HP or Epson printer drivers on Windows and having to pick from a mile long list of model numbers that were almost exactly the same? - that's why).

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
I've been getting them for $8 per bag at Canadian Tire for a while too.  They lowered their prices from $10.99 per bag partway through the summer; last year, Canadian Tire was selling them for $9.99 per bag and I was annoyed at the 10% year over year price increase.  I noticed that CT also lowered the price of Maple Leaf lump charcoal from $21.99 per bag to $19.99 per bag, which is good since that's my favourite lump charcoal.  Oddly, back in April for about two weeks, the Canadian Tire in St. Catharines had Royal Oak briquettes on for $8 per bag.  I discovered this when I was down there checking out the road layout before having a driving test so I stocked up since the store near me at home was charging $10.99 instead of $9.99 at that point, so $8 was a nice deal.  Then after the driving test, I went to stock up again and saw that their prices had jumped from $8 up to the same $10.99.  Who knows how long this pricing's going to last for?

This is deliberate retail sleazery trickery.  The purpose of slightly the bag size between store chains so that they're ever so slightly different is so that you can't comparison shop identical products - since they aren't exactly the same - and take advantage of the "we beat our competitors prices" promises that so many big box store chains make.  That's why large chains who can order enough from any given manufacturer get slight packaging or model number changes so that they don't actually have to beat anybody else's prices since the exact same thing isn't available anywhere else.  Future Shop used to be be guilty of doing this all the time, getting custom runs of computers and printers and monitors and having their own slightly different model numbers put on by the manufacturers (remember installing HP or Epson printer drivers on Windows and having to pick from a mile long list of model numbers that were almost exactly the same? - that's why).
If you like maple leaf lump go to Nella on Barton st. Just west of grays rd. 15.99 a bag regular price.

Sent from my HTC One using Weber Kettle Club mobile app