Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The ones that got away..  (Read 4627 times)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
The ones that got away..
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
@CharliefromLI inspired this. I've been think of doing this for a bit.

Post screen shots or pics of: deals that went south, kettles that got vultched by vultures, sellers never replied, got a call while on the way to pick up and seller calls and says the price went up, the ones that got away, the ones you need to clear out of your mind.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:54:53 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: The ones that got away..
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »
I don't have pics, but a black MT, with rotisserie for $90. Was listed for weeks. Tried to talk him down. Within 20 minutes of offering his asking price... It was sold. Damn me for being a blackie snob. My girl kept telling me to go for it, but the fact that it was black and there isn't many buyers around... Got me cocky. I've learned my lesson.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:20:47 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:09:14 AM »
We go down to Rehobeth Beach Delaware for a week every summer, and every time I'm down there my hometown craigslist always has a few gems that I can't get.

Two years ago there was a brand-new 26 inch that was assembled for a photo shoot only but never cooked on being sold 10 minutes from my house for 50 bucks :(

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:53:06 AM »
This sums up all the ones that got away for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Gh2dbPp5o

"can't win what you ain't got, can't lose what you never had"
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
I was telling cellar2full today that about 3 months ago I had called about a ranch kettle in sacramento in an estate sale, i called, asked what they were asking. $100 she says. I told her if i paid for it would she hold it till the coming weekend, she said yes. I told her I would call back.. I did and "BOB" had beat me to it. I should have never hesitated.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 06:12:41 AM »
I'm sure everyone has stories about these, but there are 4 local freebies that I missed out on.

First was a green wooden handle that was close to my work.  Saw the ad and was driving down the alley within 20 minutes and it was gone.

Then there was the free 26er where I arrived at the house in about 30 minutes and it was gone:

Next was the free green SS performer:

And finally, there was an ad last week for a free vintage Weber with little to no detail.  I decided to take a stab at it and was there in 30 minutes only to see it being loaded in a truck.  It was a gasser so that one didn't sting too much.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

steakporkchicken

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »
What is it with the Green SS with gas assist.  I missed out on one of those last fall in Des Moines, and I am still kicking myself for waiting too late on that one!
22" WSM,'15 Green Performer Deluxe, '13 Jumbo Joe,
'14 Genesis 330 -Smoke

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
I missed a ranch 30 minutes away for $40.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
@charred I'd probably throw up if it were me.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:13:05 PM »
There is one I'm on now local to me that might escape me. I won't post pics or details yet because it might be someone here. I emailed the seller 5 hours after the post and they said someone is coming to look Thursday. I'll post after then.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 05:38:04 PM »
Good luck.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 07:51:07 AM »
It got away! So pissed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »
It got away! So pissed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Search of Blue or Green MBH

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:08 PM »
No picture, but $20 Plainsman was mine, with phone confirmation.  Dicked around with the pickup and they ended up selling to somebody else, but I shoulda just gotten in the car and gotten it.  As Zeppelin famously said, "nobody's fault but mine"

Also missed out on an 18" yellow a town away (though it was $75) and an 18" lime ($40 but a solid 1.5 hours away) when I didn't feel at the time like shelling out $75, or driving that far for the lime.  If I had those to do over again, I might have jumped on them, since yellow continues to grow on me (and elude me, as that was the only local one I've ever seen come up-still haven't seen one in person) and I subsequently added a 22" lime, so it would be kind of cool to have the set.  At least the lime 18" went to a member  @charred
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/scored-a-limey-mbh-18-5-needs-tlc/msg165993/#msg165993
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/limey-mbh-stands-on-her-own-3-feet-again/msg176248/#msg176248

Oh yeah, I once lowballed an offer on a Patriots edition (my team) Master Touch before I knew how ultra rare (like less than 10 per team made) they were.  Doh!

Nothing stings like the Plainsman screwup though.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
@charred I'd probably throw up if it were me.

Yeah. Pretty much ruined my month.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers