Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Getting temperature right.  (Read 1548 times)

Scousejay

• Happy Cooker
Getting temperature right.
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »
Hi all.  New to Charcoal bbq.  Bought a weber  57cm one touch premium. Set it up last weekend went for safety first few burgers chicken all come out great. It's just the temperature control am struggling with, the bbq has ash catcher on & adjustable vent, it's this am struggling to work out which are the best settings on it,as temp went down pretty quickly.  Looking forward to learning how to use my bbq & with your help even better.
Thanks.  Jay. 

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Getting temperature right.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:01:11 AM »
I find it really useful to mark the ash catcher ring with vent positions, closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, open. Then, you have a better idea where the lower vent is.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
For high heat grilling? I just leave it fully open with the vent open as well. Welcome and good luck to you.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
For high heat you want both vents wide open.   Usually with the exception of one of the accessories I have, I always leave my top vent wide open and control the temp with the bottom vent.  Temperature also has a lot to do with how much charcoal you are using.  I full chimney full of charcoal is going to give you a fire that is going to be pretty hot.  The temp will also depend on how you are setting up your coals.  If you put the coals to one side of the grill the temp at the cooking grate is going to be different directly above the coals (hot) than it is on the opposite side (cooler).  If you are looking for a medium temp for cooking just remember it is easier to start with less coals and add more to gain heat than it is to start with too many and get the grill to cool down.  One other thing to keep in mind when adjusting your bottom vent to increase or decrease the temp is to give it a little bit of time to settle in before you adjust again.  Also, try to leave the lid on as you are dialing in the temp so that everything is consistent. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Scousejay

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:12:22 PM »
Thanks all for the replys.  Do I add extra coals lit or cold out of the bag.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thesnow321

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »
I've believe you can't add cold charcoal out of bag, if you do it will smoke up your food. Use chimney once charcoal is ready add it in..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks all for the replys.  Do I add extra coals lit or cold out of the bag.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You can do it either way.  Briquettes do tend to burn a little dirty as they get going, but if you are adding a handful of coals it isn't a big deal.  If you are using lump charcoal you can add as much of that as you want without worrying about a dirty smoke as it gets going.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!