Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: HELP! melted table cloth on kettle  (Read 2886 times)

Bubba73

• Happy Cooker
HELP! melted table cloth on kettle
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:07:44 PM »
Hey everyone.  New here and just posted in the introduction thread but I have a question.  My wife likes to use the thin plastic table cloths when we have a cook out in the back yard.  I was using my 22.5 copper OTS and the wind blew the table cloth up and it stuck to the side of the kettle bowl.  I'm trying to find a way, if one, to clean it of without damaging the finish.  Unfortunately the kettle has been used several times over since this incident.  Does anyone know of any possible ways of getting this off.  The kettle still cooks great of course, it's just an aesthetic issue for me.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: HELP! melted table cloth on kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »
razor blade

you could also try acetone / nail polish remover if the razor blade fails - but please spot check first, i'm not sure if acetone would screw up the finish or the color

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:44:49 PM »
Wow, this is new territory.  For me anyway.  I'm sure others will chime in, but if it were me I'd build a big fire then while hot try removing with a plastic scraper of some sort for the major "issues".  After most was off I'd turn to 0000 steel wool and elbow grease. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 03:26:48 AM »
I would definitely go with the razor blade first.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 05:31:19 AM »
Razor blade. If a blade can remove 10yr baked on paint, a Chinese table cloth doesn't stand a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
Wow, this is new territory.  For me anyway.  I'm sure others will chime in, but if it were me I'd build a big fire then while hot try removing with a plastic scraper of some sort for the major "issues".  After most was off I'd turn to 0000 steel wool and elbow grease.

NOT a plastic scraper though, You could get the kettle hot and then use a razor blade.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
1) Razor blade

2) Fine steel wool

3)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 07:51:10 AM »
1) Razor blade

2) Fine steel wool

3)

Perfect!

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
I've heard of using PVC Primer to melt the plastic and wipe it off. I would probably use this after trying the less extreme methods first. Maybe try some primer on a spot that doesn't show just to see the effect on the finish.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »
I've heard of using PVC Primer to melt the plastic and wipe it off. I would probably use this after trying the less extreme methods first. Maybe try some primer on a spot that doesn't show just to see the effect on the finish.

???  very interesting, will file that in the back of the brain.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
It s "hot" enough to etch (prime) PVC, so keep it off of your hands, etc.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
Razor blade works. I've seen multiple Genesis cook boxes with marks from plastic utensils that were left against the cook box and melted.
Plastic will scrape off.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
It's probably too late, but from experience (I did the same thing with a hot dog bun bag years ago, melted it right to the lid). Let it cool and you should be able to get it off with a razor blade. Don't try & do it while it's hot, or you'll just spread melted plastic all over the place.

Bubba73

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »
1) Razor blade

2) Fine steel wool

3)

Thanks for all the replies. This is funny but I'm gonna have to get some. [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk