Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redhead Score in Toronto  (Read 4117 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Redhead Score in Toronto
« on: July 25, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »
I just scored really nice oddball Redhead.   I figures both MrHoss and MacEggs are too far away and don't need anymore Redheads anyways. Also, I could not let this get in the wrong hand. Trying to keep it in WKC family.  So....

Last evening, I e-mailed the seller 2hrs after the posted ad.   I did not get any reply for like 4hrs so I thought I lost it. Later, she e-mails back saying that they were out on some function all day. I was first in line and ask me if I can pick up next day.  Cool!  My sisters family is only 5min away from the seller, but I drive 50min. to pick it up today.

It needs to be cleaned up as usual, but looks to be in real good shape.  All vents move freely and they are nice and tight against the bowl. It comes with old but usable Weber cover, hinged grill grate like on my 90's MT, Charcoal racks, Warming rack.  It is EI code but it has daisy vents. How likely is it to have these vents on 97 as the ash swiper one touch sys. came on at 83.  It also has black triangle and no white wall wheels. Wheels have Weber on them. I don't think I have seen this before.  Maybe just missing white part.  I don't know.

Anyways, I took some before and after pics.

Before:

After

Redheads together

Between 2 Mastertouch

Thanks,

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:02:28 AM by greenweb »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
Nice score, dude!  I didn't see the ad until this morning.  I inquired, but got no reply back.

Damn …. Those wheels look very cool.  The wheels with the whitewall have holes in them.

Is that rim rash in the second pic??  No matter.  Looks very nice, overall.

I trust you did not pay more than the asking price ….   :-X :-X ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
it's  a Red economy without the economy triangle.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:48:26 PM »
Nice score, dude!  I didn't see the ad until this morning.  I inquired, but got no reply back.

Damn …. Those wheels look very cool.  The wheels with the whitewall have holes in them.

Is that rim rash in the second pic??  No matter.  Looks very nice, overall.

I trust you did not pay more than the asking price ….   :-X :-X ;) ;)

Thank! I was going to PM you last night, but did not know if I can score this or not. I got lucky again.  So, what kind of wheels are these. Never seen them before.   The rim rash shown on second pic is the only flaw on it.  The lid is nice and level on a flat ground which is nice. No other flaws or chips on the lid or the bowl. Leg sockets are rock solid too.  Pretty nice for $30 Can.  What is that like in US-  $17.  :) :) :)   Someone up it to $40 and I said I don't mind paying that.  When I went to pick it up, Seller's husband came out and saw how excited I was... said $30 is fine.

I have been scoring few interesting kettles lately and you and MrHoss been super cool about it.  I will make it up to you guys next time by offering up next few if I get to it first.  I will also be in contact with you guys when something comes up.  We need to keep things in the family, so to speak. :) :) :)

it's  a Red economy without the economy triangle.

Are you saying the powercoated black is economy version( cheaper version or reg. chrome plated ) like the one with no ribs on the triangle. I have one of those kettle.  Not quite understanding that logic.

Also, who has wheels like this.  Anyone know anything about these.
Thanks,

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:00:44 PM by greenweb »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 03:51:46 PM »
[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »
Nice pickup.  I'm with @MacEggs, I'm digging those wheels.  I think they are just economy kettle wheels.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
Both of you Neil_VT00 and LightningBoldtz saying economy kettle ......so must be it.   Any thread open on this topic.  I would like to know more about this.

Another question for experts-  how likely is it to have 1997 with daisy wheels, hinged grill grate, charcoal racks on a economy model back then.  I just find all this interesting.

Thanks,

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
I've never seen a good thread on the economy kettle, just picked up little bits here and there.  My understanding is that they come with daisy wheels, the simple triangle, and wheels with no white-walls. I also think that there is a Sears/Kenmore economy kettle that has the same features and has unmarked vents which are screwed on as opposed to riveted.

I'm not sure what years they were sold or how prevalent they are. It seems a little strange to me to have a non-black economy kettle.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
@ Neil_VT00-  thanks!  Your comment made more clear why this still have the daisy wheels as most of kettles after 1983 went to One Touch sys.   Even so, it is probably not that common to have late 90's kettles with daisy wheels.  I also get LightningBoldtz's - it's  a Red economy without the economy triangle. Question is why would Weber but power-coated triangle on a economy model.  Post some pics if anyone have one of these late 90's kettles with 3 bottom vents, pc triangle and black wall wheels.

You are also spot on about Sears/Kenmore economy kettles.  This is what I found searching for Redhead Economy kettle.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/economy-redhead/

I still can not find anything on this kettle. Very interesting!  Hope you other experts can shed some light on this subject.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:03:08 PM by greenweb »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »

Also, who has wheels like this.  Anyone know anything about these.
Thanks,

I have a Weber Baby Q and cart that have wheels like that. I purchased it new in either 2004 or 2005.  The wheels actually have whitewalls that cover the Weber name embossed in the black wheel. One side that is exposed to the sun has rotted off and exposed the Weber embossing. Hope that helps as I don't know anything else regarding the wheels.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:50 AM »
my gray i picked up has the same wheels and the black triangle. I also picked up an EI, red this weekend. daisy wheels, black wheels and triangle.
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
I'm wondering if it just has a replacement lid... would an economy model have the red mist? I would think a red economy would be more along the lines of something like this:

Or would the one in my picture be a separate class of economy model (ie: Sears or Kmart)?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
Yes. Mine has the mist.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
Just read that another econo-kettle feature is a single bowl handle.  See this thread.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
All Silvers had the single bowl handle.