Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bang for the buck - The underrated OTS  (Read 2826 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Bang for the buck - The underrated OTS
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:16:37 AM »
The amazing photos of members' collections have provided me years and years worth of fantasy fodder for my imagination, but I'd like to ask if anyone else is cooking on a plain old OTS like I am?

I cooked and competed with WSMs for years, but until this week I had never actually owned a kettle.  I am a hound for a bargain on anything I purchase and without a doubt this is the BEST 99 bucks I could have ever spent.  Every night during dinner I am constantly amazed at the efficiency and extreme versatility of this design. 

What is truly mindblowing to me is that even this base model cooker has remained essentially unchanged for 60 years.  In our modern age where competitive cooking has become incredibly popular and food has become a big part of mainstream entertainment, it is incredible that George's ingenious design can still make pro-level grilling and Q accessible to the common working folk straight off the shelf of most hardware stores.  Nobody who wants to try 'real' BBQing is denied the opportunity so long as the OTS is still being sold.

I admit to being overly-philosophical about this, but with my new culinary focus being stripping stripping grilling down to the basics I've found myself becoming more of a historian, and as much as I love and admire all types of cookers there has never been a piece of equipment that has been so significantr as the amazing Weber Kettle, nor does any model reflect the original intent of bringing great cookery to every backyard as the basic OTS.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Cellar2ful

Re: Bang for the buck - The underrated OTS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »

Having owned and cooked on many kettles since the late 70's I find that all the Weber kettles will produce the same results.   I prefer the look of a three legged variety over the performer.  It comes down to what conveniences you can live with or without. My 2 cooking kettles are both vintage MT's.  I like the convenience of the ash bucket as opposed to the ash pan and the lid bail/holder the MT's are equipped with. Without the lid bail/holder option, I always found it problematic, what to do with the lid when placing or removing food.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
Agreed on both points - I solved the ash bucket situation with a $6.00 galvanized pail from the liquor store they were using to make gift baskets.  It hangs on the same springs as the hubcap pan did and is a perfect partner to the one-touch system. 

As far as the lid keeper, you're right.  I use the OTS' integrated hook multiple times a night.  Without it I would definitely need a solution.

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »
They make lid bale holders for the OTS.

The silver was my first kettle and I still have it. It has now officially been retired and parts used elsewhere, but for me personally, I like the looks of the OTS' over the golds or now premiums. Something about it's simplicity is cool to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »
Hell, I still use my OTS all the time. It's my Frankencooker. All that's left from the original is the lid and leg assembly.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
I think my grills with the ash pan look the best, but by far I like cooking on the Performer. It's just so convenient.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »

I think my grills with the ash pan look the best, but by far I like cooking on the Performer. It's just so convenient.

I second that

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:12:55 PM »
I can cook on an OTS just fine but I find that the extra features of the OTG/MT make cooking more enjoyable. It is amazing that for less than $100 new you can have a great outdoor cooker that will last decades.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »
AMEN!!! Weber has forgotten which of their cookers is on the company logo. They should make them in colors. Just give me that and I can mod it to be a performer or gold and put the thermometer where I want it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »
@DarrenC - The problem I have with using the integrated lid hook is for me, it usual results in rim rash. I hate rim rash. I am usually drinking wine while cooking and inevitably I miss hanging the lid on the hook and crash, the lid is rolling on the ground. Then I get all pissed off and drink more wine. It's a vicious circle.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
I've never had anything but the OTS for many, many years so I don't know what I'm missing, if anything.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
I like the bucket there as I cook on a wood deck most of the time. Got a mat down but the bucket catches my live embers where the plate is susceptible to wind and whatnot. While I have seen a live ember or three get out the holes at the top of the ring on a OTG it is nothing compared to what would have gotten off of a plate during all those grilling sessions these last few years.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
@DarrenC - The problem I have with using the integrated lid hook is for me, it usual results in rim rash. I hate rim rash. I am usually drinking wine while cooking and inevitably I miss hanging the lid on the hook and crash, the lid is rolling on the ground. Then I get all pissed off and drink more wine. It's a vicious circle.

I only hang the hook on the bowl handles. The tolerance for hanging the hook on the bowl lip is too small for my liking.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
I cook on a Silver that is "almost a Gold" (lacking the two-handled bowl and multi-wire triangle)
This weekend it makes the full morph to Gold with some donor parts.

I do like the ash management system of the Gold.
But I do love the iconic image of the Silver.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 05:20:36 AM »
Cooked Burgers on this last night, no problem. In use since 1981.

Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker