Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle Cover Observations...  (Read 1186 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Weber Kettle Cover Observations...
« on: July 21, 2016, 04:49:57 AM »
Since my kettle is outdoors and on the pad full-time now I stopped last night and bought a proper cover for it.  In an uncommon flurry of commerce i actually sprang for the 'official' Weber-branded cover.

I'm impressed with the design, the material and the sewing but I was wondering if anyone else had purchased one and questioned the strange storage bag setup?

1) Why do they include a storage bag?  Is anyone really going to fold this thing up into 32 perfect rectangles and stuff it in the bag to store it for a few hours or a day while they use their grill?  The picture on the packaging shows it hanging on a pegboard on a shop wall?  How is it supposed to protect your kettle if it's not over it?

2) why is the bag permanently sewn to the rest of the cover?  I look out the back porch at my yard and my grill for hours a day and there's no way I'm going to find that bag dragging on the ground aesthetically acceptable.  Maybe there's a valid reason for it but to me it's just weird.

In any case, some careful work with shears solved the issue and I'm certain I'll find use for a good-quality drawstring ditty bag that also happens to be emblazoned with the world's coolest logo  8)
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Weber Kettle Cover Observations...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »
I don't have the covers with the bag. I didn't know the bag was sewn on the cover. That does sound a little strange, but maybe it's just so it's not misplaced or something.

There was another thread of this sometime back. I think it was more of the quality of the new covers, but someone mentioned it was nice to be able to "bag up" the cover and put it away whenever they were hosting a party. I could agree with that. If your having company and want to have your grills uncovered, it would be nice to have them bagged up. Not just laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber Kettle Cover Observations...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
Their market research could have shown that their customers only cover their grills seasonally so they provided a permanently attached storage solution.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »

I have 2 of the covers and keep my outdoor cooking kettles covered year round.  It protects the Zav wood handles and keeps the kettles clean. First thing I did was cut off the bags that are sewn on to the covers. Once I opened the box with the new covers, I have never put them back in the bags.  I use them for storing extra Zav wood handles.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:04:40 AM »
I bet it's cheaper for them to sew in the bag at the time of manufacturing than it would be to plastic wrap and then individually box. At retail they are sold with only a little sleeve slipped over that has SkU etc.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:01:49 AM »
I wish they still did the covers with the soft lining inside. I have one that I got from Duke a while back...I love that one...It protects my yellow now.

Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »
My cover also has the bag attached to it but there is a velcro strap inside the cover to hook the bag to so it does not hang out of the bottom.  I dont anticipate ever using the bag but my OCD wont let me cut it off the cover.