Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blue SSP. Or is it?  (Read 3380 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Blue SSP. Or is it?
« on: July 16, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »
Home with the blue SSP @Travis mentioned in another thread. I am now wondering if this is a replacement bowl/lid in the SSP frame.

Did Weber ever leave a handle on an SSP bowl? This is an EO code, so it's older than the other original black SSP I had, which had no handle.

Legit or not?

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Blue SSP. Or is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
I've had a couple SSPs with the handle on. It's legit.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:10:33 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
@ Haeffb and I have been talking about that. It's relieving to hear a veteran say that it's legit.  I was getting pissed thinking we got took. This is the first ssp I've seen and felt like an asshole. Thx @56MPG

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
My O- code '92 SSP has the bowl handle. But Travis, there's always the possibility you're an asshole LOL!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WEBERNV

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Confirmed, my m code 1990 red stainless steel  performer has the same thing going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 02:12:32 PM »
Yeah, let's not rule that out quite so quickly... :)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Blue SSP. Or is it?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
My O- code '92 SSP has the bowl handle. But Travis, there's always the possibility you're an asshole LOL!
Oh, Dave, I'll never argue that I'm not an asshole! But would hate to screw someone else I'm trying to help in the process. That would just suck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:37:46 PM by Travis »

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
After a once-over, here's my take:

Lid has some damage. Apparently the seller tried to correct a dent in the lid by pounding it with a 2x4 or other block of wood. Couple of other chips that would be minor on their own. Handle, thermometer & housing, lid vent all in good condition.

Bowl has some crazing, a couple of small chips developing in that area. The charcoal grate is warped, so it's seen some hot fires.

The igniter switch is shot. The screw attaching the ceramic igniter has the head stripped. QUESTION: what's the best method to try to remove this screw? Drill it out? Rest of the gas assist parts look good.

Frame is very solid - better than either of my two previous SSP's. Wheels and casters are in good shape - casters that actually work (and lock/unlock) are a first for me. Axle is completely rusted - easy fix to paint or replace with a new SS rod.

Table is dirty, but looks like it will clean up nicely. Old-style ash sweep bar is in good condition, as are the ash catcher and ring. Just needs a good cleaning. Sweeps have been replaced with the H-style, seem to be OK.

It will need some work cleaning and polishing, but it's going to be pretty nice. The lid damage is the only real issue.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 07:55:57 PM »

Seeing your pictures and question regarding the handle on a SSP, I ran out and checked the one I picked up yesterday.  It is a 1996 ER Code and does have a handle.  Thank you for posting this question @haeffb.  I would have been wondering the same thing once I dismantled mine.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
I have a 1992 "O" with the handle.  Funny, never noticed it until this thread.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
... The screw attaching the ceramic igniter has the head stripped. QUESTION: what's the best method to try to remove this screw? Drill it out? Rest of the gas assist parts look good....

I would think Vise-Grips could turn the screw loose, if there's enough meat left on the screw head. I drilled and tapped new threads in one recently, used a fresh screw and it still isn't completely tight. You may need a new burner tube assembly, which comes with ceramic igniter attached.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Blue SSP. Or is it?
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
Tear down is underway. The screws/nuts in the burner tube bracket were also rusted solid and refused to budge. I ended up drilling through the heads of the screws, gradually increasing the bit size until I reached 1/4". After drilling most of the way through, I grabbed the nut side with vise grips and bent back and forth until the head separated.

I also drilled out the screw from the burner tube - now have to try to find a replacement screw.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
Well, OK. The answer is...it is.

Cleaned and ready to go to the brother-in-law:

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »
(Yes, I swapped tanks with him - he'll never know...)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 02:01:13 AM »
@haeffb you did a great job with the ash catcher ring and pan.  What method did you use to clean it up that well and what kind of paint did you use?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM