Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thoughts on the whole GBS system.  (Read 3468 times)

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
Thoughts on the whole GBS system.
« on: July 08, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »
I'm thinking of diving into the whole GBS world.  Unfortunately when I  do something i go all  in.  GBS Looks  to be a handy system that crosses  platforms from ccharcoal to gas which I like.

II'm curious on real world thoughts,  likes and dislikes. 
At the end of  the day is it really worth  the investment?
Thanks in advance.
Don
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Thoughts on the whole GBS system.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
I have the grate and the skillet.  I use the skillet from time to time when what I am cooking calls for it.  Sometimes the Skillet goes in the hole, sometimes it does not.  It just depends on what else I am cooking and how much space I have or need.  As far as the actual grate is concerned it is a lot more heavy duty than a standard weber hinged grate.  I have warped a hinged grate but not the GBS grate.  I also like being able to remove the center when using my vortex so that I am not exposing it to 1000+ degree heat.

I think the only additional thing I will eventually get is the cast iron searing grate.  I don't think I would use any of the other attachments.

For reference:

Gourmet grate:  8.2lbs
Standard hinged grate:  4.75lbs

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »
The cast iron sear grate is the most used GBS accessory at my house. I have the sear grate, the skillet, the Korean bbq, the ebelskiver, the poultry roaster, the pizza stone, the wok, the dutch oven, and the waffle iron. I want to buy the rest of them eventually.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »
The thick hinged grates are pretty nice and the big hole in the center works well for accessing the charcoal grate and lighting a chimney. They accessories themselves are overpriced, overdesigned, and the awkward size makes them less functional than if you bought a mainstream version of that accessory. For example, that $55 cast iron wok vs. $20 carbon wok, $35 skillet vs lodge $20 skillet, awkward shaped korean bbq insert that barely fits kalbi, small diameter pizza $35 stone with handles that make it hard to slip a peel on and off of it, etc. It's like whoever  designed these accessories envisioned them for the yuppie market but fell way short on execution.

There's nothing that you cant' do with the GBS that you can't do on top of a regular grate. One additional plus though is removing the center section to apply high heat directly to your accessory slows down grate burn out.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »
The vortex kills a normal cooking grate. Waiting till sales come about will help keep costs down.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
I have the GBS, sear grate, and vortex. Not interested an any other accessories. Only reason I have GBS and sear grate, they were on deep end of year sale.

The accessories are stupid small, to the point of being useless.

In general I don't like the fact that it is in two pieces. Would be nicer if they locked together and hung as one.

It is really used as my beater grate and with vortex.

I primarily use standard grate and will invest in SS Weber one of these days.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »
I don't understand why they don't take the cast iron sear grate and make it the full size of a 22.5 cooking grate? A while back in the 1980's and 90's, they sold a grill grate that was a forerunner to the modern day GBS. Instead of a small round hole in the middle, it was a large rectangle hole that took up nearly the entire grate. In the hole you could put a full size griddle plate or a full size cast iron cooking grate. That was actually a better set up than the GBS system they have now. They should have expanded on that line up instead. They could have easily made a large pizza stone to fit that rectangle hole and other accessories as well I'm sure?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
I love my gourmet grate. Use it with my Vortex all the time. It's so convenient and the
Hinged sides make it easy to add wood. That being said .. The accessories for it all
Over priced. I  found a wok at Walmart for $8.00 that fits great. And who wants a 10"
Pizza stone?
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
Bullshit! That's exactly what it is.  Although, I like the concept, the fact that Weber doesn't make all the inserts available in all markets sucks big time.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Got one on a recent CL kettle. Yet to cook on it. It is MUCH more heavy duty than the normal hinged grate. That alone is pretty nice. Look forward to the CI sear grate. Not really interested in the other accessories.
Still need a 22” yellow

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
I've had the GBS grate for about a year now. I have the sear grate and the wok. The wok gets used about once a week and my family loves it. The sear insert see's action about once a month.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
What flavor does the wok impart, that a wok on the stove doesn't?
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
I see the advantage of the vortex, but my wings are just as crispy without it.
Still need a 22” yellow

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
What flavor does the wok impart, that a wok on the stove doesn't?

A wok burner is hotter than most home stoves can reach.

You get a much better (hotter) stir fry with charcoal, especially with the vortex underneath, than with a home stove.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-food-lab-for-the-best-stir-fry-fire-up-the-grill.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-wok-mon-converts-your-home-burner-into-a-wok-range-solution.html

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 07:53:13 PM »
Damn! Sounds like I'm the only one here who actually uses all these accessories?