Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I hate the taco handle - there I said it  (Read 7605 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: I hate the taco handle - there I said it
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
I hate them too! I beat the shit outta one and flattened it out to cover a bung plug an my Gateway Clone can.

Bung plug cover!!! 

its only function!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »
I belive 2013 is when the 26" got it. All downhill from there.
Still need a 22” yellow

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2016, 04:05:44 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the taco handle.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
Yep, the taco handle "just ain't right".
For me, they're like the high water mark.

Muscle car era
Pre-'64 Winchesters
...and the list goes on

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
I hate them too! I beat the shit outta one and flattened it out to cover a bung plug an my Gateway Clone can.

Bung plug cover!!! 

its only function!
Sweet rig, Swamp !
I'd like to see a build thread on that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:40:59 AM by DirectDrive »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »

+1
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »
Here is an old thread discussing the introduction of the taco handle to North America ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/the-end-of-an-era-no-more-welded-handles-on-weber-kettles-photo-evidence!/

I am still considering doing what Matt (604) did to my Ivory MT.  No lid hook to worry about, either.

BTW, @swamprb , that is one kick-ass looking UDS!!  Nicely done.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 02:56:39 AM »

Here is an old thread discussing the introduction of the taco handle to North America ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/the-end-of-an-era-no-more-welded-handles-on-weber-kettles-photo-evidence!/

I am still considering doing what Matt (604) did to my Ivory MT.  No lid hook to worry about, either.

BTW, @swamprb , that is one kick-ass looking UDS!!  Nicely done.
Bung plug cover!!! 

its only function!

Sweet rig, Swamp !
I'd like to see a build thread on that.

@DirectDrive @MacEggs - Here ya go!

https://www.facebook.com/116187658462391/photos/?tab=album&album_id=989344634480018

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »

Me either, with the wood handle it's works freaking awesome.....I haven't burned my hands in a long time, not with the taco
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
I have an AD code 26 er and it has the taco handle I really don't mind it I would like to get a wood handle though
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »
Yep, put one of Brian's handles on them and it's not bad at all. But, and there's always a big butt when I'm around, I'm one of the guys that sprung for a Mastertouch from Canada. I was soooo careful to not tighten the handle too tightly. Still got a big ole porcelain chip!! I haven't had the emotional energy to try and get that replaced. I'm assuming I'll need to call Weber Canada since it came from there. I don't know if they'll ship a replacement to the States. So, I don't mind the look of the taco handle, but hate the chipping.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 11:31:31 PM »
Wonder if you took the deflector off and bent the metal band to match the shape of the old style metal on the welded handles. Would need to bend the tabs outward where it attaches to the lid instead of inward and cut off the excess. With a wood handle it would look just like the original but would be silver. Fixing the dad gum 90 degree turn Weber did to the handle is another mater. Someone here posted a fix by bolting a strip of metal with a hook on the end underneath using the handle bolts. I would dremel off the old hook to get it out of the way. It would crack the porcelain under the vent if it got hit. I've passed up kettles with damage there.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
Yes Mark, I feel your pain. As beautiful and long lived as porcelain is, it isn't perfect. It is glass. Paint has its problems too. It gets soft when hot and rubs off where it contacts the lid bale. Still I am tempted to rough up a OTS with sand paper and paint it with Yellow caliper paint. At least I could touch it up if needed. Only way I'll ever get a yellow. Weber is busy making Summits. I wished they would have offered the colors in the US.