Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1993 Green Weber Performer  (Read 1462 times)

Dan B

• Happy Cooker
1993 Green Weber Performer
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
I purchased this for $10.00 at a yard sale. It was missing the charcoal bin, bottom rack and 5lb tank. It looked like it was hardly used, very little build up of grease and grime in the kettle.
I took it apart and repainted the frame, cleaned the kettle, polished the stainless steel. I made a new bottom rack out of treated lumber to give the legs better support. Also the caster wheels were shot. You do not have to buy the Weber brand if the nylon insert is in good shape. I found a pair of 2 inch locking casters that looked like the Weber's at HD for $5.99. I am not going to hook up the gas. I refuse to spend $60.00 on a 5lb tank. I have a Weber chimney that I have been using for years on my other Weber.
I have not been able to find a charcoal bin for it anywhere. I thinking trying to find a plastic garbage can that has similar dimensions and bolting it to the wood rack. Anyone else know where to find one cheap?
Wife let me buy the 8701 cover for it through weber-not cheap, but worth the investment.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:09:51 PM by Dan B »

Dan B

• Happy Cooker
Re: 1993 Green Weber Performer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
oops using dropbox and picture went in upside down and too large-I am a newbie on this site-I got it right side up, but still large, I haven't figured out how to shrink it down yet
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:13:55 PM by Dan B »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »
How did you attach the wood to the frame? Live to see more pics of the build
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
If you aren't going to use the gas assist, take the panel out  and then you have more room for a bin under the SS top.  I don't use my bin for charcoal.   I'd suggest finding something that will fit in there with the  gas panel removed to keep some tools, lighter cubes, smoking woods, etc.  My bin really just gets in the way of being able to store things on the bottom shelf.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Very nice. What color are you thinking of staining the wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan B

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »
The wood frame is a treated 2x4 cut in half on my table saw. The top is treated decking.  The existing steel frame has a crossbar on each side that had 2 holes for the original shelf that is missing. I just used some 3 inch treated lumber screws with a plastic and stainless steel washer through the existing holes to the wood to secure it.
After the treated wood dries out, I might paint that shelf black to match the frame.

I removed the panel and regulator already. That is a good idea to just use it for tools. I might just make a tray out of wood to hold tools, lighters etc.