Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Grill  (Read 2373 times)

Old Timer

• Happy Cooker
Old Grill
« on: June 17, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
I've got an old Weber 22.5. I've been using it for about six years, my father used it before me, and his father used it before him. My grandfather bought it, but I don't know when.

What I do know is that I called the weber customer service and they'd never heard of anyone using a grill this old and they couldn't help me with replacement parts. That is how I ended up here. SO I've got two puzzles for you folks. 1. What is the age of this grill? I'll post pictures.

2. How can I fix the dampers? They are riveted on and are the older three holed dampers.

I can still cook and smoke on it, but it doesn't give me the temperature control I want.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:42:19 PM by Troy »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Old Grill
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 04:30:21 PM »
Hi @Old Timer
The pictures aren't showing up :(

If you want, you can email them to troy@weberkettleclub.com and I'll update your thread for you.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »
Your pictures are broken for me, but a good pic of the top vent, wheels, and bottom end should let the experts around here zero in pretty closely.

The rivet on the dampeners, or vents, would need to be drilled out. Then you can either make repairs to the originals or buy replacements.

Old Timer

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »
I guess I should have included a long shot of the whole thing. Lol. Thanks troy for getting those up. I can post more pictures if folks need to see something else. I'll check back this evening. So fun to have found this group.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Old Grill
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »
Hello old timer! I'm no expert, but I'm going to take a stab at it. I think it's a 1975 brownie 18" model. Your saying its a 22" though. The flat handle on the bowl is throwing me off. I thought the 22" had round handles and 18"'s were flat.

Also, the lid vent stamp says "bar-b-q-kettle" which changed to "Weber" in 76'.

The bowl tabs on the bottom are large and have 2 tabs per vent which was changed in 75' from the small singular tab.

Finally, your wheels look to be the plastic ones, but without the Weber logo cut into it. They started that in 77'.

Only way I know how to fix the bowl tabs is to use a soft mallet and a screw driver. Or do they not move? In that case try good ol' wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak then gingerly tap, budge, manipulate them until free. I have a Fleetwood 26" that I had to spray and work back and forth forever! Hopefully yours aren't too far gone though. If they do move you can manipulate the tabs back down with the a flat head and re shape the vent by softly hammering the vent outer area.

Get a couple more pics, and everything I've mentioned here is posted on the age guide provided in the forum. Only thing I wonder about is that flat bowl handle.

Hey glad to meet ya!

Hey, just an update. I just saw you said the vents were three holes. That's an 18" for sure. 22's had 4 holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:13:37 PM by Travis »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »
Definitely an 18"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »
Greetings Old Timer!    Passed down 3 generation is something special.  From few limited pics, it looks like good cleaning is all is required. One of the pic shows slight vent gap. Follow Travis's direction for tweaking. Besides from looking like you just pulled it out of some ditch, It looks fine. Even the lid handle weld area looks good.

Can you take full shots.  It looks like a brownie but not sure what it is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:04:26 PM by greenweb »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
Yeah that. Great detail shots, but a few general shots would help a lot.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
   Hello and welcome Old Timer, what you have is a 75/76 the lid and bowl vents and wheels are exactly like my Lime except for the size, you have an 18.5" and only as a last resort should you drill out the rivets.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
That's gonna clean up nice. Start with the grill restoration section on the home page here: http://weberkettleclub.com/

Like travis said, I like to use solvent like WD40 or whatever when those are stuck and then some dental floss to clean out the crud.

Old Timer

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Its funny hearing the "looks like you found it in a ditch" comments. I use it twice per week!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 11:08:17 PM »
Its funny hearing the "looks like you found it in a ditch" comments. I use it twice per week!

After rereading my comment, My apology, just encase some offense was taken. I did not mean to.

Thanks for understanding.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:04:11 AM »
Pretty sure Bar-B-Kettle with patent 3538906 puts it at 71-75

Old Timer

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
@green NBD I thought it was funny. I hadn't ever thought about how the grill looked. But, yeah! It has spider webs on it! LOL

@Troy I added two long shots of the grill. Could you add those to this thread?