Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Drill or weld on my Red Kettle Gasser  (Read 1457 times)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Drill or weld on my Red Kettle Gasser
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
I just got a red kettle gasser - I think its 2nd generation - no funny vent on the top and no wheels - it looks like an MBH without vents.  When the weather cools down I'll take pics & let you guys perv it.

One of round cross section MBH type handles is loose on one end - Should I drill thru and use a red painted stainless bolt to fasten it or get it welded?  Might the heat of welding damage the finish?  Any help will be appreciated  8)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:51:27 PM by Red Kettle Rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Drill or weld on my Red Kettle Gasser
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
Not sure if it would work or not, but since that grill isn't going to get nearly as hot as we can get our charcoal kettles, JB Weld or something like that might do the trick.  My Kettle Gasser will only get up to about 435 degrees and that takes a bit of time.  Mine does have the vented lid, so yours might get a little hotter, not sure.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:33:06 PM »
Is that the new one you showed me last week? If so, I'd have that tacked. I don't believe it would hurt the finish at all, Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
They are going to have to grind off any porcelain coating to get a decent tack or bead
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »
I've welded on kettles many times.   You can usually find a spot of exposed metal to make the contact without any grinding needed, but it helps to wire-brush it first.  It's almost undetectable after a weld and doesn't really mess with the finish at all.  If you know someone with a welder, have them go at it with a low setting.  It only takes about 2 seconds of actual welding.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.