Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Converting a kettle to a versatile smoker???  (Read 2576 times)

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
Converting a kettle to a versatile smoker???
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
Hey folks!

I am in a bit of a crossroad and need some expertise. I currently own a 18.5 WSM and absolutely love it. It's probably the single best craigslist buy I have made. I also have a 22" OTG kettle that I bought from Lowes a few years back. It also has paid for itself 100 times over (I use it 3-4 times a week). What I am looking to do is convert my kettle into a versatile smoker. More or less I am just looking to smoke some small meals for the wife and I. I have searched this forum and a few others and found a plethora of information about the Smokenator and the Cajun Bandit Stacker. Before anyone talks me out of the smokenator (I already bank my coals when I do small smokes on the kettle) I have made my mind up that these are the two products I will be making my decision on. I like the idea of being able to use the full 22" grate on the Cajun Bandit Stacker. Would anybody like to chime in on recommending one product over the other?

I would like to also point out that this is going to be a completely unnecessary purchase as I already have a WSM and a Kettle. But, I have the bug and can't get the idea out of my head LOL.

Thanks!
Jesse Robinson

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Converting a kettle to a versatile smoker???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 09:48:18 AM »
The bandit spanks the smokenator.

Hell the slow n sear spanks the smokenator.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MikeLucky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
I don't use either. Normal charcoal baskets set to either side, drip pan in the middle with some water, and kick the vents down to keep it under 300 degrees.  Add wood chips about every 45 minutes.... I've made some killer bbq doing this.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
I've been using the smokenator for three years now and love it. If you get one, don't use the included instructions. Fill it up with as much charcoal and wood as it'll hold, then throw in about 8-9 lit coals to one side. Put the water pan on top of the grate or just use a bigger pan on the bottom grate next to the smokenator. I can usually go about six hours without re-fueling holding steady at 225-235.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
I compared the different options and accessories here btw
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »
2 words

Cajun Bandit!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
Cajun Bandit is awesome!  By the way welcome to the club!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:35:25 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 05:23:47 PM »
I thought the CB Stacker was discontinued but just looked and it's back. Cool!
Edit,  nevermind that was the conversion kit that was discontinued.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:34:39 PM by DonoBBQ »
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
Wow thanks for replies! Does anybody with the stacker have any problem keeping the temp around 225?
Jesse Robinson

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 03:50:18 AM »
Wow thanks for replies! Does anybody with the stacker have any problem keeping the temp around 225?

No

Not since I stuck a BBQ Guru on the bowl. But then again, I like to cook hot anyway.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:53:48 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:59:34 AM »
@swamprb what temp do you usually smoke at?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »

275*

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »
None of the above.  I use a regular kettle and the minion snake method.  Usually good for 16 hours unattended.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »

275*

Lately that has been my go to temperature too!