Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Karma is real and it is spectacular!  (Read 851 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Karma is real and it is spectacular!
« on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »
So about a week and a half ago, @captjoe06 announced a spur of the moment meet up where a few folks from this neck of the woods were getting together to do a multi-way kettle swap and drop-off.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/northeast-wkc-meetupswap-at-my-dock-in-gloucester-ma-saturday-feb-25th/
In the same thread @AZogas announced that he was looking for a performer bowl and lid. I couldn't make it, but a while back I'd disassembled a green SSP and still had the not mint, but serviceable, bowl and lid laying around, and had tried unsuccessfully in the past to give them away.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/freemostly-free-stuff-in-massachusetts-(green-performer-bowllid-26'-bowl)/msg250451/#msg250451
I sent pictures, and he was stoked to get them. I left the grill out in my yard, he left me a very nice gift of some fancy local beer (thanks again!).
Normally, that's karma enough for anybody-I get space back, AND beer, and he gets a couple parts he can use.

George Stephen must have been especially pleased to see some grill fellas doing grill fella things around his birthday though, because Monday, my dad (who flips a few gassers in the summer to stay busy) gets a call from a scrap guy that he'd met and who'd promised to keep him in mind for any Webers he pulls in.

"Ugh, I know you said you only do Weber Gas grills, but would you be interested in a charcoal one?  I just picked it up and its really nice."

My dad says, send me a pic, I'll ask my kid if he wants it.

This is what comes back

I say, yup.  I know Cap'n Joe might be the New England performer whisperer, AND a lobsterman, but I don't know how many he has just jumping in the boat like this!

Now it's in my driveway

It is in rougher shape than I'd hoped for and is a non-gas assist model.  The hanger straps have all rusted through to the outside of the bowl, to the point where there's some pinholes poking through, it's missing the charcoal baskets, thermometer, ash sweeper and ash catcher assembly, the door handle is melted and the door itself is messed up and doesn't open/close properly yet. But it's an N code SSP  Check that.  It's a RED N code SSP!!!.  Its awfully darn cold out and I am not going to fire up the hose, but I think I might see what I can do for a fast wipedown in the garage.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Kettle Karma is real and it is spectacular!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »
Holy crap!  I've never seen a Red SSP in these parts!  What a find!  Congrats my man!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

AZogas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
Beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »
Congrats! Looks great from here. The lid and the frame looks to be in great shape. Whatever small issues outstanding... you will sort it out and bring the beast back to life.

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 02:19:16 PM »
Sounds like all minor details.  The grill looks solid.  I love red.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Looks pretty good from here. Nice rescue🖒

searching for a 26.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 06:17:30 PM »
Congrats, nice pick up!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
Awesome!
It's great when they fall into your lap

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app