Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Win some, lose some: A saga of SSPs and a Craigslist score!  (Read 1422 times)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
So my Dad was looking at craigslist on Saturday and saw a RED SSP for sale a little over an hour from him (he knows I like the red ones) and a couple hours later told me about it, so I clicked on it.  Really nice looking propane assist SSP with old school charcoal baskets and a chimney.  $50.

it also listed accessories, which turned out to be what looks like a brand new smokenator, a Kingsford charcoal caddy and some kind of a funky grate.

My dad volunteered to pick it up and emailed at this point (probably 6 hours in) and Sunday got the email that he was second on the list.  Sadly, person #1 was not a flake. The red SSP search continues.

Brief aside-After many, many fruitless craigslist searches and at least one lost auction, I finally broke down and bought a charcoal rotisserie from ebay last week, paying more for it than I have for any of my grills because they NEVER come up on craigslist and everybody who has one raves about them.

Yesterday, this ad pops up.

Note the missing feature-no price.  It had been up for a couple of hours so I shot off an email saying I didn't see a price (it was in for sale, not free) and asking him his asking price.  No response.
The ad stayed up, and when I was done with my chores for the day, I figured, what the hell, let me try texting. He still had it, and the whole kit was less than I paid for the rotisserie.  Could I pick it up tonight?
Yes, Yes I can.
I got there, and it had a nice cover, good grates and even had the manuals and cookbook! And when he opened the charcoal bin, this was sitting in there.

My first warming rack!
The ashcatcher fell off and I couldn't get the ring attached for the life of me, so I think that I will just unbolt the bowl, clean it, clean the burner tube and reattach the ash catcher ring while actually able to see what I'm doing.  The ignitor needs some fiddling with too, but shouldn't be a big deal.  I'll probably combine the best of this grill and another SSP black I picked up a few months ago and move the other out. 

Dizzy EVERYTHING on the menu at my house this Memorial Day weekend!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:38:03 AM by jkolantern »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Win some, lose some: A saga of SSPs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:19:43 AM »
Nice scores all around. Father's Day is coming up- give your dad the swore roti?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:29:15 AM »
Well that's a pretty good pick me up after the redhead letdown. Congrats.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »
That's a fantastic find, good for you!!

●|||||||●

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Win some, lose some: A saga of SSPs and a Craigslist score!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Finally, redemtion!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
Nice score! I believe the "funky grate" is what they call a hover grill. Basically just a second level grate to add real estate for more meat.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
@captjoe06 yes, some redemption. The one I missed was significantly better condition than the one that feel in my lap, today but was the only SSP gas assist I've seen in the area. I saw one other non gas assist when I first started getting into kettles, but passed because I thought since it had leg sockets it wasn't a real performer.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 06:55:06 AM »
You'll love the rotisserie
If you haven't opened the one you bought new, just return it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app