Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A FOOL AND HIS MONEY..... New Summit Charcoal Grill  (Read 4831 times)

MadMax

• Smokey Joe
A FOOL AND HIS MONEY..... New Summit Charcoal Grill
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:40:03 AM »

Cinco de Mayo and mothers day!

What better excuse to buy a new weber.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:31:21 AM by MadMax »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A FOOL AND HIS MONEY..... New Summit Charcoal Grill
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:35:08 AM »
Honestly I can't understand anything you wrote....maybe you wrote everything in a rage.....sounds like your upset bout something.  Hope you get it worked out.  If you don't want the grill I'm sure you can sell it here to someone to recoup some of the cash you laid out. 
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:03:10 AM »
Normally, the Most Interesting Man comes through with inspiration. @MadMax you might contact irv39 or Bbqmiller and pick their brains. They've been enjoying theirs quite a bit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:21:00 AM »
This definitely doesn't make much sense from what I can make out of it? I just got done watching a Youtube video of some guy who was able to maintain a constant temp for more than 50 hours on a new SCG! You must be doing something wrong? Weber has been making great quality grills for more than 60 years and now suddenly they don't know how to manufacture a grill that can hold a steady temp?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:29:33 AM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »
[emoji848] Ok "Thing" is the weber. "Stumps" is hand built smoker. You've gone through a lot of charcoal trying to get the temp to set in and it's not working out for you. You're having a problem with it dying out and getting REALLY ticked off.

I don't have one, so I should probably have waited for irv and bbqmiller to comment first, but I'm already writing this so here ya go. Are you letting the coals get going initially? Fire them up, leave lid open till they will sustain? Then close lid and then maybe open the rapid fire vent for a bit? Then close and use the top daisy wheel for fine tuning? All the while bottom vents, of course, open.

Please don't take any offense to that since you've been grilling longer than I've been around. I'm just trying to help, and I wouldn't never mess with a man that has the XXX cardboard cutout of the "most interesting man alive" in his home... Good luck and stay thirsty my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:38:31 AM by Travis »

MadMax

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
@zavod You were correct. I have edited my post.

Believe me I probably have over 50 Webers.   I am not a Weber Basher by no means. 

Will Try Again. Just started it again (  Igniter quit working Its sparking on controller just not on Igniter in tube LOL) but not using temp controller this time. To even use Guru the  Exhaust on top had to be sealed shut. (Stale Smoke)  Open it up and it runs away.    Even sealed propane tube.

@Travis  Just the opposite.  Temp running Hot.   Get it set on 250 on the  Guru Stays for a while.  Fan not stoking.  Temp raises.  Bottom shut.  top open 1/8 inch.Runs up 35 40 degrees then settles and starts dropping. to about 220 Guru brings up slowley to 250 again  and its a repeat again.    No offense at all.  And that is Him not cardboard cutout.
And i was thirsty for 14 hours yesterday trying to run the SCG.  Reason for the rage.  But no excuse.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 07:19:00 AM »
Have you tried running it without the guru and see what happens?Eliminating a factor? Please tell him I said hi. When he popped out of the snow cave with the two chicks, I cried.

MadMax

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:27:46 AM »
@Travis    Will Do.   And stop by the Godfrey meat market and have some ribs and pork steak for me.  And pick up a couple fillets.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »
Great place and great people. You nearby?

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:44:48 AM »
Sounds like you have the problem worked out? My suggestion would be to get thoroughly familiar with the new product before advancing to an ATC device? Hope everything works well.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
Madmax - here is link to my first smoke.

Time to get it dirty! - Summit Charcoal grill (ribs and chicken wings)
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=21546

Only around 5 hour rib cook but the temp did regulate itself well during the whole time (I didn't use any sort of atc - just vent settings). It did get a little hot early on but it was because I lit a bit too much coal. It wasn't that hard to adjust with vent settings. I should point out that I was using my maverick to read two different areas of the grate - the temp was very consistent even though I had it banked to the side where the lighter is.

I hope to try a longer cook (brisket and butt) soon - will make sure to document it and share it with the group

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:26:53 AM by Bbqmiller »

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
Any type of closed loop controller needs to have the gains set knowing how the thing being controlled behaves.
The summit is a different animal from the regular 22 inch kettle.  I am not surprised a controller designed for one does not work optimally for the other.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
this reminds me all the Big Green Egg facebook pages rolled into one thread
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »
this reminds me all the Big Green Egg facebook pages rolled into one thread

That's good. Saves you time strolling through threads. Lol, just ribbon ya.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:03:51 PM by Travis »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 06:00:05 PM »
The summit is a different animal from the regular 22 inch kettle.

^ Bingo.

For some reason I also went in expecting to use it exactly like any other kettle... It is very similar of course, but there are a few differences that took me a few cooks to learn an adjust my "routine" procedure. The double walled setup insulates substantially better than a standard kettle, so you cannot fire off a full chimney worth of charcoal and expect to keep your temps below 350-400deg. Once you dial in the amount of charcoal used, burner light time, and the even spreading of the charcoal across the grate you will be golden. It's all in the setup [emoji106] 

I've been working on a multiple cook in-depth review for you guys and hope to have it up within a week or two...

At this point I am seeing a substantial reduction in the amount of charcoal used. This past weekend it ran a 4 hour rib cook on a half chimney of charcoal.

The SCG is a badass grill. 8) 
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E