Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex question.  (Read 2803 times)

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
Vortex question.
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »
I have been thinking about making my own vortex.  After looking at materials I cannot decide what I would like to use, although stainless steel is preferred.  One thing I am having issues with is the use of galvanized steel.  Most of the chimney starters on the market are made from galvanized steel but I have read that galvanized steel is not good to use for food preparation. I would like to cut down an old chimney starter that I have to make a vortex but I am concerned about the galvanized steel contaminating the food. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Looking for green, red, blue mbh...  Acocado, yellow, or lime.

Cellar2ful

Re: Vortex question.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:49:15 AM »
This should address any question as to using galvanized steel in making your own vortex.  The dangers are from breathing chemical fumes released when galvanized steel is heated or welded. I don't know what off brand chimney starters are made of but Weber's are made of aluminized steel. 

s://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:06:17 AM »
@BMitch I did exactly what you describe using a cheapy megarusty old chimney.  I honestly don't think it was galvanized, if so it didn't prevent rust.  Anyways, It didn't work any better than just using the baskets in the middle.  The vortex has more of a cone-shape to it, maybe the geometry is the key.  I bought some cheapy stainless bowls to cut up for another attempt, but haven't messed with it.  What about a stainless dog bowl?

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
My old chimney started has some rust on it, does this mean that it is not galvanized? I have used it in the past to sear steaks.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »
Hi Bmitch. The Vortex is made of high quality stainless steel and the shape really is the key. Thick so it will last. Also, cut, rolled, and welded in America.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »
And does the cone not create a kind of venturi effect, too?

My old chimney started has some rust on it, does this mean that it is not galvanized?

So are my Weber chimney and Weber charcoal baskets (current designs.) The aluminum coatings are thin and take a beating from the heat. Not galvanized.

"Made from durable aluminized steel."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
DO NOT use galvanized.

I have been thinking about making my own vortex.

I would recommend 16 gauge sheet metal.  Don't leave it out, as it will rust.  Otherwise it should work fine.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:44 PM »
Or save yourself the hassle of figuring it out, and the time to experiment until you come up with a workable setup and just buy a vortex and get cooking. ;)
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
A $50 piece of rolled metal doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it can be replicated for a lot less.

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
A $50 piece of rolled metal doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it can be replicated for a lot less.

It absolutely can be replicated for less.  The questions are:  Do you have the skill, do you have the tools and do you have the time?

In my case I had everything except the time.  I bought a vortex and have been very happy with it.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
Sounds like the constant argument of buy it or DIY 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
Late to the party...I made my bootleg Vortex from a 5 quart stainless mixing bowl. $7 dollars at Big Lots and 10 minutes cutting with my Dremel Tool. Works great!
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 02:08:05 PM »
Late to the party...I made my bootleg Vortex from a 5 quart stainless mixing bowl. $7 dollars at Big Lots and 10 minutes cutting with my Dremel Tool. Works great!

OK, Google Images is no help here. Some are shallow, some are deep ... can you share a picture of yours, and tell us how you light it? Actually I don't know how anyone lights these cone-shaped piles of coals in the container OR gets them dumped in after the fact. Thx!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »
Photobucket is acting weird tonight. Sorry no pic. Dimensions are: 10 3/8"  OD diameter x 5" H x 6 1/4" ID where I cut the bottom of the bowl off. It holds a full chimney perfect. I light it with this http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/diy-alcohol-charcoal-starter/msg203097/#msg203097 
sitting in the center of the OT sweeps,or low and slow by placing 6-10 lit on top.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:25:34 PM by guitarfish »

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

There we go.