Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Master Touch Owner (and new to charcoal grills)  (Read 2728 times)

Mr_Pacman

• Smokey Joe
New Master Touch Owner (and new to charcoal grills)
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been using a Weber Genesis of different generations for the past 20 years (current one is a S-310). The past month I've been on this forum and on the internet researching charcoal grills as I would like to give it a shot.

I've been waiting for a sale so I could pick up a copper Kettle Premium. However, today I was at my local London Drugs (I live in Canada) and they had the MasterTouch on sale for 50% off!!! So I picked up one for $150, along with the matching cover that was on sale for $20. The only downside is that the kettle is black and I would have preferred a different color, but the price was hard to turn down.

After researching, it looks like I should buy a chimney. Would the Weber chimney be the best bang for buck or is there another brand that is worth getting? I'll also buy some lighter cubes. My plan was to buy the Maple Leaf charcoal briquettes as they only use starch as a binder.

Is there anything else I might be missing before I start using this kettle?  It's going to be on a wooden deck, next to plastic patio furniture.  Has anyone had experiences with hot coals flying out of the ash catcher?

Thanks
James

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: New Master Touch Owner (and new to charcoal grills)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
First off, welcome to the club!!!

You're starting w/ a grate grill.  You shouldn't have to worry about hot embers causing damage. The ash catch assembly contains ash & embers quite well.  If you try lump charcoal, you might have a couple escapees.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
Welcome to the club! You've got a couple great grills to use there. The Weber chimney is the way to go. It's big, cheap, and easy to mod if you like. As for the wood deck, I would consider buying a grilling mat to lay under the grill. I can't imagine any coals escaping the ash catcher, but the chimney is a different story. Happy grilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »
If your worried about or interested in using a less processed and more natural fuel source consider trying lump charcoal, as it uses no binders and is basically raw wood heated to become coal, and typically not processed any further. Some say it tastes better (can depend on brand), it burns a little hotter and does not last quite as long... But many really like it.

Some may say learn with briquettes first, since they are a manufactured and consistent product where lump is all random sizes... But IMO its not much different to use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »
^ this is good advice. Lump is great. Which reminds me. I'm out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
Grab the Weber chimney.  It's inexpensive & more solid than most.  A cheap, heavy duty set of tongs for positioning hot coals & moving full, lit baskets always helps.  You'll figure out what you'll want & need as you go. Enjoy!!!
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
Welcome, James!  All great advice above.  Outstanding price you got for a new M/T … in CAD.  :) :)

Maple Leaf briquets are excellent.  I use them almost exclusively when using briquets. 

Research, and keep practicing, and you will find you will no longer need to use your gasser.   :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
Maple Leaf briquettes are great. Basically they are Maple Leaf lump charcoal ground up and made into briquettes with wheat starch as a binder. They are the only briquettes I use. Hell, If I had a London Drugs nearby I'd be there right now buying a Mastertouch. Great score and I'm sure you'll be enjoying your kettle for many years.

Mr_Pacman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.

I assembled the grill last night. I noticed that the legs are slightly wobbly. Noting major like it's going to fall over, but there is some play. I was a bit surprised to see how the legs attach and how the little cylinders that the legs slide into are tack welded. Has anyone has issues with the leg holders breaking?

I'll pick up a chimney, lighter cubes and some Maple Leaf Briquettes tonight.

I was also surprised to see no type of instruction manual (it did have an assembly manual) on how to use it. I figured they would have something explaining how to work the vents on the top and bottom etc.

THanks
James

Mr_Pacman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:25:39 AM »
Maple Leaf briquettes are great. Basically they are Maple Leaf lump charcoal ground up and made into briquettes with wheat starch as a binder. They are the only briquettes I use. Hell, If I had a London Drugs nearby I'd be there right now buying a Mastertouch. Great score and I'm sure you'll be enjoying your kettle for many years.

Would a different local store price match?  Let me know if you need my receipt and I can scan and send it over.

THis wasn't a deal that was unique to Calgary and all of the London Drugs stores are running these deal on the Mastertouch as I found out about it from a friend in Ontario.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »

... I noticed that the legs are slightly wobbly. Noting major like it's going to fall over, but there is some play. I was a bit surprised to see how the legs attach and how the little cylinders that the legs slide into are tack welded. Has anyone has issues with the leg holders breaking?

Only on some really old kettles, but it's rust and not a fracture that does them in.

I was also surprised to see no type of instruction manual (it did have an assembly manual) on how to use it. I figured they would have something explaining how to work the vents on the top and bottom etc.

Decades ago, yes, but for several years the manuals have been more "IKEA" with pictograms and not "recipes and tips" like before.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
Congrats on leaving the (gas) darkness!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
Alas I'm about 1500k from the nearest London Drugs which is in Winnipeg.