Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Did all the MBH's come with twist pans?  (Read 3216 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Did all the MBH's come with twist pans?
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »
Or did some of the later ones come with the clip style?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:47:39 PM by AZ Monsoon »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Did all the MBH's come with twist pans?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »
If by clip style you mean the same pan as the silver comes with now, then no.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
Thanks

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »
Some MBHs came with the flat edge twist pan, and later versions came with the rolled edge twist pan and spring clips, 1980 (B) I believe.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

mx.kessler

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:25:02 AM »
later versions came with the rolled edge twist pan and spring clips, 1980 (B) I believe.

I got an B-Code Brownie and it got the twist pan and spring clips

Craig

• WKC Mod
Did all the MBH's come with twist pans?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
Yes. The latter day MBH kettles did. Clips appeared in 1980 with the rolled edge twist pans. Originally intended to be placed  above the pan to prevent it from twisting upward (no pun intended) and flying off in high winds. By the time the pans were retooled to full disc (late 1986) their purpose changed to what they are intended for today.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:24:18 PM by Craig »

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 02:04:54 PM »
By the time the pans were retooled to full disc (late 1986) their purpose changed to what they are intended for today.

Are you saying that twist on ash pans were offered up until 1986?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »
I remember when I got this Red MBH - it had both!

The dual rivet handle was missing and I drilled the bracket for a newer one screw. Had a softball sized crater in the lid.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
By the time the pans were retooled to full disc (late 1986) their purpose changed to what they are intended for today.

Yes. Some '86 H codes came with either rolled edge twist pans or the full disk pans depending on when it was made during that year or when Weber used up their stock of old twist pans.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 08:19:25 PM »

Yes. Some '86 H codes came with either rolled edge twist pans or the full disk pans depending on when it was made during that year or when Weber used up their stock of old twist pans.

Wow! I never realized that? I had always assumed that Weber phased out the twist style ash pans back in the late 70's? Thanks for the info Craig.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

John

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 12:58:53 AM »
Is this the same info for the 22” and 18”?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 01:32:02 AM »
I remember when I got this Red MBH - it had both!

The dual rivet handle was missing and I drilled the bracket for a newer one screw. Had a softball sized crater in the lid.

That's a funny one!! Double bagging it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:20 AM »
Is this the same info for the 22” and 18”?

Yes, the date changes for ash pan styles were the same for 26", 22" and 18" kettles. Firm transition dates can be blurry though.  This is a photo of the "Blues Brothers".  The 18" B Code wears the correct style ash pan for that year (1980).  The 22" is a A Code and should have come with a straight edge twist on ash pan in 1979.  The question is, was the ash pan replaced by the original owner or was it a late production 1979 model that Weber had used up all the straight edge ash pans?  It is believed that actual implication dates of style changes can spill into a previous or subsequent years.  This was due to an excess inventory amount or shortage of the previous style of ash pan that Weber had during a style change year.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"