Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer questions before potential purchase  (Read 5732 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Performer questions before potential purchase
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
I hear a lot of people who say they don't think they would use the gas assist.  I use mine everytime I cook no matter what grill I'm actually cooking on.  My performer is the older SS model, so I have a  4.25lb tank.  To get my chimney lit I run the gas assist for 2-4 minutes and thats it.  I'm not sure how long everyone gets out of the little propane bottles, but my tank lasts me forever!  If that CL ad doesn't pan out, I would still keep searching for a used one.  The amount of money you will save will allow you to justify getting a few accessories!!!!  Good luck!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

soobaerodude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
Some Home Depot stores are selling the Performer Premium (without gas assist) for $199.

One way to find them is to check inventory on this page, it will show which stores are selling for full price: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Performer-Premium-22-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Black-15401001/205504258

Then call stores near you that aren't listed to see if they have it in stock for $199

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »
Ok. I've read all responses. All these men are some serious grill fellas. Thats the first thing you need to know. Second, if you can score that performer for a bill, get it. Unbelievable price. Third, I can't voice opinion of gas assist because I dont have one either. I use the chimney and cubes also. Works just fine in my opinion. Money is money. How long does it take you to make that extra cost. I've used it for years. I use to use an old wobbly dinner tray for YEARS and finally momma said, "Get one of those with a table". I knew nothing of Craigslist or this site and frankly didn't care. BEST purchase I've ever made. To this day even if I'm cooking on my other weber's I take the cover of the performer and use the table. I do this often. Whatever you do, your grilling, enjoying family, friends etc. Honestly, all that matters. Enjoy brother. Absolute great advice on this forum. Thanks everyone!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
First, if you are going to buy a Weber 22 grill, then go with a Performer. To me, that's a no brainer. I hold the opposite view than most people, I prefer to buy my equipment brand new. I absolutely cannot stand equipment that is damaged, abused, neglected, not properly maintained, dirty, etc. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with buying used stuff, but my philosophy is if you are planning to keep it for many, many years to come, then buy a brand new one. Get the best model available with the most features offered so you can enjoy it for many future years to come. Don't deny yourself something that will give you great enjoyment for the next ? years simply to save $100 or $150. In the long term, it will be worth it.

I can kind of understand this.  I mean, 20 years from now one would look back and say "Wow, it was only $350, what a great buy".   That said, we aren't talking about buying a car here.   It's a fairly simple and straightforward grill.   Doesn't really have hidden things that will pop up later like an abused transmission, or bent valves or damaged pistons.

If the bowl is dented, don't buy it.  If you see some rust.  Don't buy it.  If there's any other visable problem that can't be fixed cheaply, don't buy it.

I'd wager than there are many of us who have picked up Performers for under $150 that have had ZERO issues with them.   Only thing we missed out on was the same level of feeling you get from opening the box and putting a brand new one together.     Then again, anyone buying a brand new one misses out on the "holy smokes, I nabbed this mint Performer for $50" feeling.   :P :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM by demosthenes9 »

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »
I use the gas assist on one of my performers unless I use the side burner I added to my smoker cart. I have also taken to wheeling out a performer when using my 26er in order to use the table as a cooking surface. So, safe to say that I find both features really handy.  The baskets are nice for, as already stated, keeping coals from being banked directly on your bowl, and also for moving around quickly.  For example, if you use one on each side of the grill for cooking indirect in the middle and then you want to combine them to create a sear zone.  I'm in Massachusetts, where performers are pretty widely available for $100-150 and occasionally less.  Good luck!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 10:35:34 AM »
Great discussion, everyone! Let us know what you decide, @G19. We're rooting for you.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »
Thanks everyone - I sent an email at 7:03 am but still have not heard back.  Hoping for sure it's available and when the seller gets home they contact me. 

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »
G19.. send me a PM. I have several performers. I'll get you a black one for cheap.. colors won't be cheap.

Oh..I took some tin snips and cut the bottom off my chimney. Works a heck of alot better
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
First, if you are going to buy a Weber 22 grill, then go with a Performer. To me, that's a no brainer. I hold the opposite view than most people, I prefer to buy my equipment brand new. I absolutely cannot stand equipment that is damaged, abused, neglected, not properly maintained, dirty, etc. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with buying used stuff, but my philosophy is if you are planning to keep it for many, many years to come, then buy a brand new one. Get the best model available with the most features offered so you can enjoy it for many future years to come. Don't deny yourself something that will give you great enjoyment for the next ? years simply to save $100 or $150. In the long term, it will be worth it.
This is the way I feel about most of my stuff.  I like most of my stuff new so I know how it was taken care of and so on.  I like my stuff looking good and most of the time used don't cut it for me.  Every now and then I buy something used and its because the seller was as anal as I am with my stuff. ;D
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
G19.. send me a PM. I have several performers. I'll get you a black one for cheap.. colors won't be cheap.

Oh..I took some tin snips and cut the bottom off my chimney. Works a heck of alot better

Do you have a pic of the chimney?   I'm not familiar with this mod.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

I call it the "cut the unnecessary spacer off the chimney so it sits closer to the fire cuz I got 5 more chimneys in the garage mod"
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
I think they raised the price to $200 for the performer
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
I just saw that and they still never even answered my email from this morning. Oh well

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
That sucks, happens with some sellers.    G19, if you aren't in a big hurry, set up a CL alert with something like "Weber|Webber".  And/or use any of several CL apps/services that will alert you.   Additionally, decide how far you are willing to drive to get a Performer and make sure that those CL areas are covered by your searches as well.   I set mine up @ 150 mile radius.   Now, I definitely won't drive 150 for just any deal, but you never know.  If the deal is good enough, I'll definitely drive that far.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:06:48 PM by demosthenes9 »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
@G19

JUMP ON THIS NOW !!!!!!!!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/5532978755.html

It doesn't have the gas assist, but you can worry about that later.

I long said how good the new table would look on a grey performer. Am member found one, did so and it was good. I now say... How awesome would the new table look, with the previous generation copper preformer?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:01:15 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow