Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: just another day in the jungle that is craigslist (UPDATED W PICS)  (Read 4036 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
As i have posted here before, i try to self fund by BBQ hobby by buying and selling grills on craigslist. Now that spring is starting to arrive here in the northeast, some grills are being listed. Most of the grills listed are unreasonably high, which would be good if i was selling, but i am in buying mode as the winter was quiet.

I finally got a few responses from sellers who werent being unreasonable as the week went on:

Grill #1: Seller was local, didnt have photo but based on stock photos we confirmed it was an older OTG ( light gray handle era). After some negotiation a price was reached $30 if the grill was in good shape, dirty was OK but rust is a deal breaker. seller said its dirty but no rust. We agreed to meet up at 9 am as seller had plans.
-----
Grill #2 Seller posted a photo of an older OTG (same as above)  that was about 20 minutes away. When i asked the price, they said FREE. i didnt ask any more questions. I told them i would just need to get the time to get out to them, they agreed to hold it.
-----
Grill #3 was a gasser. i generally dont do CL gassers as they cost more, i have a nice one already and my "hobby" is more charcoal, but i have 2 relatives who asked me to keep eyes open as both just moved and need grills on tight budgets.

Also seller was having a moving sale and there was one or two items that were of interest so i reached out. they said the grill was in bad shape and it was being thrown out. I pleaded to hold it for me and they said if can get it up the stairs from their sunken backyard to my truck without assistance its mine FREE. i agreed. They could only meet at 2 pm today and since grill 2 & 3 were near each other the plan was set:

9 am grab grill 1
2 pm grab grill 2
230 grab grill 3

The latter two would be in my suv together, it would be tight and I was going to look like a scrap metal picker but the plan was set.

I packed my 3 year old in the car and went to grab grill 1. It was pouring out, so i left my daughter in the car in front of the sellers home. Grill was in the garage and i peaked inside lid,  cooking grate was dirty but free of rust. since thats the biggest issue with most craigstlist grills, i said id take it. i gave seller the money and threw kettle in my truck. Seller jumped in his truck and left as he was on his way out. I later realized the outside of the bowl was rough! Rust and crazing. this thing has seen some high heat without charcoal grate or baskets. I was mad at myself for not looking before i paid, my fault. I convinced myself the parts alone are worth 30 bucks and i can rehab to use as a tailgate cooker.

Grill 2. Told seller i was on my way. they emailed back, were not home but grill is next to garage, help yourself. They also noted that the lid fit a little funny, it might be because there is  a small dent.  since it was free and i was heading that way anyway i agreed to grab it. Bowl rim had a flatspot from likely fall and cooking grate was rusty but it was free and both can be fixed. Packed up and kept moving.

Grill 3: gasser. i arrived at house with a sold sign in front and people everywhere. it was an estate sale and it was hopping.  i met seller and told them i was here for grill. Woman said grill is in back, its in bad shape you sure you want it?  i said sure. I went in back yard down a rock (not concrete, but actual rock) stairway and saw an older weber gas grill covered. OK its covered i thought thats a decent sign. Seller said are you taking the propane tanks too? i said i would dipose of for them as a courtesy since they are giving me the grill. I uncovered and found a 2004 weber genisis 3 burner in pretty darn good shape. some cooking grease sure but side tables were all perfect. i packed up with 3 propane tanks (one was still felt 3/4's full) and left. When i got home i screwed on the full tank and hit the igniter and she lit right up first try!!!! This find by far saved the day for sure.

I will try to grab some photos of these scores. Just another saturday on craigslist...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:27:02 PM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: just another day in the jungle that is craigslist
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »
Fun times snagging those machines!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
Sounds like it was "a good day at the office" for you.  $30 for 3 grills (+ whatever $$$ you spent to keep your daughter content). Not too shabby.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
Sounds like it was "a good day at the office" for you.  $30 for 3 grills (+ whatever $$$ you spent to keep your daughter content). Not too shabby.

She only had to do the first run with me. Bought her a pink donut $1.19

I got off easy...this time.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:18:40 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 07:04:24 PM »
Bought her a pink donut $1.19

I got off easy...this time.
Enjoy the cheap travel fees while you can.  Teenagers require Starbucks.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 02:23:04 AM »
Love these stories, can't get enough of them.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 05:39:50 AM »
We have the same hobby, I am guessing you will get a buck 50 or more for the genesis after clean up.

Congrats
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »
We have the same hobby, I am guessing you will get a buck 50 or more for the genesis after clean up.

Congrats

I think I could but it's being cleaned up as a gift for a relative who just bought there first house and has a big list of things they'll need. This is one less thing they'll need this season.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 05:45:27 AM »
Congrats on the scores! You have to "love" craigslist sometimes..

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
just another day in the jungle that is craigslist
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 06:33:29 AM »
Congrats on the scores! You have to "love" craigslist sometimes..
It's been pretty good to me. I have a 22" WSM and 26" kettle that I paid less then a 1/4 of their retail value for. And a performer that was funded by the proceeds of other Craigslist sales.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:36:25 AM by CharliefromLI »

steviesandwich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »
Gnash - just posted on another thread......... NOTHING like this in the UK!!!!! :(

Best of luck to you all!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: just another day in the jungle that is craigslist (UPDATED W PICS)
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
So what started out as a busy day day of weber hunting has turned into a full on weberitis bender. We could be facing an intervention here.

After the three grill sweep last Saturday, I was still hunting as it became clear there are two family members looking for gasssers and there's a few around so I was back on the hunt. Found one locally Wednesday on a Facebook buy sell group very close by so I grabbed it. It was in decent shape except the porcelain cook grates showed some rust. They could be oiled up and used but as this would be given to a family member and its solid otherwise.

Checked and found grates online for about $35. Not a bad deal but more then I paid for the rest of the grill. I searched the model number on lowes.com since I was placing and order and found the grates I need as online clearance for $5!

Can't beat that!

Apparently four grills wasn't enough. That same day I saw another craigslist kettle posted. I really didn't need another one as I had a new new ones waiting for clean up and repair but I couldn't pass this one up:
I've never had a read of never had a master touch before this is both.

Lid and bowl aren't perfect but they're pretty good. There are some parts that are damaged:
Thermometer is cracked
Wood handles virtually  gone
One touch system disintegrated
White wall wheel inserts are damages
Grates are pretty beat up.
But I think I can use the other rough kettles grabbed recently for donor parts.
Proving that weberitis is contagious when I explained to my wife that reds are discontinued and now considered rare even her interest peaked. She asked as usual did you get this one to keep or sell but I think she actually might want me to keep this one!
I told her I would see how the rehab goes, and see if someone makes an offer to good to ignore.

5 grills in six days, that's nuts even for this site. There's even a performer listing I'm interested in for a family member but I don't have the time to get it or clean it until
Some of these other projects are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
Nice grabs. That MT looks like it will fix up nicely.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
Nice grabs. That MT looks like it will fix up nicely.
Thanks, I'm pretty optimistic.