Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mesquite Lump?  (Read 1713 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Mesquite Lump?
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:43:44 AM »
So, I picked up 80 lbs. (Four bags available, I got two) of this today for my favorite price, FREE, at school.  It was leftover from a fundraiser.  I've used lump many times, but never Mesquite lump.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Re: Mesquite Lump?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:04 AM »
Any thoughts?

I would light it on fire and put meat over it if I were you.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »
My friend uses El Diablo mesquite lump all of the time.  Since it's charcoal and not raw unburned wood it probably won't have the strong flavor in it that you might think of when using mesquite chunks for smoking.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed Thank you.  That is what I was wondering.  I don't mind a little mesquite, but it can be overpowering sometimes.  I imagine my wife would not like it very much if it was an overpowering flavor in my bbq, as she's not even a fan of hickory. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »
I've used mesquite lump, and found it to be similar to other lumps.  Seems like it cooks a bit hotter is all.  But no real difference in flavor, as previously noted. 
One of the charcoal people.