Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fifty Years of Imperial Goodness  (Read 3001 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Fifty Years of Imperial Goodness
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »
This past August I was able to visit my dad in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  He is declining fast with Lewy-Body Dementia, which is heartbreaking to witness.  But we were blessed with some moments of real clarity, and some good conversations too.  At one point, he let us know he wanted a steak dinner, which of course meant bringing several grills to the facility where he's now living.  I asked him if I could use his old grill, even though I knew he'd say 'yes'. 

Our top WKC experts have dated this one in the 64-66 era, which means it's been cranking out meals for at least 50 years.  My dad bought it at a garage sale in about 1974, brought it home and hid it from his wife-- a true WKCer, before there was a WKC. 

The other bit of good fortune was that my brother-in-law had his camera on hand, so we got some nice images. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:35:48 AM by mike.stavlund »
One of the charcoal people.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Fifty Years of Imperial Goodness
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »
what a treasure and good memories, unlike some of you my Weber experience started at a much later date in life.  I almost envy those who have had a lifetime of weberitis.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
That's great that you got to make him his steak dinner, especially on his grill. I'm sure that Imperial will stay with you until you pass it on.  That's a rough situation to witness. Every moment of joy you can give him, is worth it.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:44:43 AM »
Glad you got to have a positive moment with the grill and your father Mike.
And i'm glad someone was there to capture some beautiful images too! :)

That grill was originally in Rockford right?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »
Glad you could do this with your Father, cool pictures thanks for sharing!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
Great post. CHERISH those moments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »
Nice Mike, glad you're getting the time in with your dad.
And of all the imperials that we've seen, that one is truly priceless.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
Wow! Great story! I lost my Dad 10 yrs ago and still miss him every day. Those moments are priceless.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
Fantastic story, glad to see your still cooking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:32:09 AM »
Update:  I was talking with my mom last night, and she filled in some details.  I knew that it was from a garage sale in Rockford, IL in 1974, and that my parents have always teased each other about it.  She added that they were quite broke, and my dad told her that she shouldn't spend any money on anything not essential.  Then he brought home this grill.  :-)  But she told me this time that he paid $15 for it, and that she was so mad that she went out and spent $25 on a used oak table.  I told her that these were both wise purchases, as both are still being used to this day.  And I made sure she understood what an incredible deal dad got, since I think the 22s were over $200 new in the early 70s. 
One of the charcoal people.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 07:38:49 AM »
Wow! They were that expensive back then?

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »
Great stories.  Thanks for sharing.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »
It is so good that you get to grill on the Imperial for your family and Dad Mike.

My Dad had a Red Genesis gasser in the 80's that many a Sunday late afternoon was spent around....to the extent that THE gasser in my mind is a Red Weber. Last Summer I found out LightningBoldtz had a Red Genesis he was restoring....he was kind enough to sell it to me. Even though I am now a charcoal guy I love that thing....puts a smile on my face knowing it is on the property. My brother-in-law and sister have Dad's gasser.....he's restored it a few times and tells me he will never get rid of it......I do love my brother-in-law.

How I wish that I was into charcoal and smoking food before my Dad passed. Sometimes I wonder about what he would think of my food. Being a pizza man I do know he's be all over Kettle pies.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »
Awesome story brother. My favorite memory was grilling pork steaks with my dad and watching 2 1/2 men. Just the two of us. Man, I miss that dude. I'm so glad you got to have that experience with yours. Take care, God bless.

steviesandwich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
Priceless photos! From the UK
Keep having fun with that grill and best to you and family